Question about Cars & Trucks

Open Question

I have a leak in bottom of trans case right below the fill cap appears to be a plate about 4x5 with pin in center what is purpose of this and recommended fix ford 1957 800

Posted by on


6 Suggested Answers

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya Mechanic can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repair professionals here in the US.
click here to Talk to a Mechanic (only for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

  • 132 Answers

SOURCE: need help understanding leak under front of 98 ford svt m.t.

see what the fluid smells like. If it smells burnt than your trans is leaking Otherwise it is just a normal oil leak

Posted on Feb 08, 2009

  • 10865 Answers

SOURCE: 98 ford contour svt (m.t) leaking what appears to be trans. fluid

yes it could well be the transmissioin seal. is the fluid reddish? Go to a transmission shop and have them put your car on the rack to take a look see.

Posted on Feb 10, 2009

  • 65 Answers

SOURCE: Radiator Leak

that could be an overflow hose if it is leaking all the time you prolly need a new cadiator cap,

Posted on Mar 23, 2009

  • 93 Answers

SOURCE: leaking trans fluid right at inspection plate for

i would say front pump oil seal on gearbox has failed gearbox out job

Posted on Dec 09, 2009

  • 1201 Answers

SOURCE: I have a 1992 Ford Aerostar 3.0 liter 6Cyl. Where is #1 on distri

Facing the engine from the front, with the cap on, the #1 slot is on the left hand side of the cap, the last one just before the clip, the distributor rotates clockwise. After #1 then 4,2,5,3,6, going clockwise.

Posted on Apr 11, 2010

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

2 Answers

Suggest causes for the 4L80E transmission not to reverse

No Reverse



Case (7)

The rear band anchor pin is broken or the pin is not positioned.

Center Support (640)

Leaking at the case, or the support is broken.

Center Support Seal (639)


Center Support Bolt (25)
The bolt is loose or broken.
The feed hole is blocked.

Rear Band (657)

Broken, worn, or not anchored

Rear Band Apply Pin (73)

The pin is too short or the pin is binding in the case.

Piston (65)

Binding in the case

Seal (66)

Leaking, damaged, or worn

Gasket (63)

Damaged or displaced

Cover (62)


Bolts (61)

Broken, loose, or missing



Fluid Pressure

Too low

Direct Clutch Components

Reaction Plates (618)

The splines are worn.

Friction Plates (611)

The splines or the friction are worn.

Spring Assembly (607)


Housing (623)


Piston (619)


Seal (620, 621, 622)


Ball Check


Dec 18, 2015 | 2001 Chevrolet Silverado

1 Answer

How do restore my duralast marine dual purpose 12volt battery

Pop the caps on top of the battery, and fill each to either the line, or just to the bottom of each tube. The water level should cover the lead plates. Also, use distilled water to do so. Not tap.

Jul 28, 2014 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Checking manual transmission fluid

You will need to locate the fill plug which should be on the side of the transmission case about half way up. It might be a normal bolt head, or a square head, or a hex recess "Allen" head.

With the car reasonably level (wheel ramps on a slight slope will do this) and the car warmed up, remove the fill plug. Hold a rag underneath the hole because oil may pour out. The correct level is full to the lower edge of the fill hole.

If not so, use a whisker like a twist tie, or thin twig, or similar to find how far below the hole is the fluid level. If more than 5mm or so, obtain the correct grade of oil in a squeeze bottle with a plastic tube in the cap, and fill to the correct level.

If it has never been changed in a long time, you should drain and replace the oil. There will be a drain plug at the lower rear of the trans case, or on the very bottom. Some cars use the bottom most assembly bolt on the trans housing as a drain plug. Consult your owners handbook for a clue.

Dec 02, 2013 | 2000 Kia Sephia

2 Answers

I have a 1991 jeep wrangler the clutch fluid keeps getting real low

clutch fluid level droppin means that ur clutch master cylinder is leaking,u can check by looking inside car where pushrod goes thru firewall to see if its wet with brake fluid where rod comes thru wall inside car, a wet ,stained carpet.the other possibility is ur clutch slave cylinder located at side of ur transmission,usually drvr side is leaking fluid.if this is the case u will notice clear brake fluid at the bottom center of ur trans,right where it butts up towards ur engine. anyhow its a good idea to replace both pieces at same time to avoid any further issues with clutch pedal. good luck hope this helps

May 01, 2011 | 1991 Jeep Wrangler

1 Answer

Where is the transmission fill tube?

there is no fill tube for this car.There is a fill hole for it.It is located on the top of the transmission in the center.The cap is red.Unscrew it and use a funnel to fill.To check the fluid is another fun project.You will need to raise the vehicle and keep it from the bottom of the vehicle under the right cv shaft to slightly to the front is a fill to plug.With the engine running in park,remove the plug and add fluid until fluid comes out of the plug hole on the side of the trans.when it does let it leakout until it only drips.Then,rein stall the side plug and shuit off the can now reinstall the fill plug on top of the trans.Hope this helps.

Dec 08, 2010 | 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT

2 Answers

Transmission fluid

alot of the newer cars do not have a checker. If you have no leak then its full. You just service it at the recommended intervals. How you fill them is you have a drain and a full cap. You remove the full cap and fill till it comes out. The fill cap is on the side of the trans and is accessable from the bottom

Jul 29, 2010 | 2007 Pontiac G6 GT Convertible

2 Answers

How do i remove c clips in 7.5 ford ranger rear axle

Best method is to buy a pair of c-clip pliers which are designed for that purpose. Maybe Pep Boys or similar?


Oct 03, 2009 | 1996 Ford Ranger SuperCab

1 Answer

E240 Year 2000 problem with gear box

The electrical connector "o" rings leak on the 722.6 transmissions and there is an updated "o" ring. If you remove the connector by sliding the lock upwards there is a 7mm. bolt holding the housing onto the vavle body plate located in the center of the pin connector on trans. Remove that 7mm. and pull housing out of trans. there are 2 "o" rings on the pin connecter and one on the harness connector. M.B. sells the 2 for the pin connector and the harness connector comes with the hole connector but you have to remove all the pins out of the old one. The harness connector is not the problem just replace the 2 on the transmission pin connector. Make sure you add M.B. electrohydraulic trans. fluid to the transmission. You will have to purchase a dipstick from the dealer because there is onlya housing tube. The trans has a red color lock and the oil a black color lock. They are right next to each other so be careful not to confuse the 2. I have seen them leak bad enough to fill the trans computer full of oil- The E.T.C. module is located in the r.f. foot well in the false floor under carpet. I do not know what circuit board you are refering to. I'm assuming it is the valvebody solonoid plate. After repair I would recommend having the car scanned and cleared for codes assuming the module is not full of a.t.f.. You may be able to clear the codes by disconnecting battery neg. for at least an hour to drain capacitors but it is always best to have car scanned. Good luck

Jul 29, 2009 | 2003 Mercedes-Benz E-Class

1 Answer

Fluid leak appears to be off of transmission

Yes there should be 2 plugs on the side of the tranmission for this. one at the bottom is for draining and one about 1/2 to 3/4 up the side of the trans is for filling.

See if you can find the leak and fix that first. After its fixed then get the right fluid for your truck, check owners manual, and fill it to the top of that fill plug.

Manual trans fluid is good for 100k or more.

Mar 25, 2009 | 1998 Ford Ranger SuperCab

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

16 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Cars & Trucks Experts


Level 3 Expert

77499 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22306 Answers

Thomas Perkins
Thomas Perkins

Level 3 Expert

14398 Answers

Are you a Car and Truck Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides