I had a problem with the positive terminal on my battery that I tighten
sunday morning right after that my tach and speedometer does not work
or my transmission does not work right, and the day before I drove it
to the beach and back with no problem it ran great,so Im thinking I a
short that might of caused that to happin ?
I would guess that the battery post may have been reversed, or the positive was accidently touched to the negative, but you said that you only tightened the positive. My suggestion is check the fuses to be sure none or blown. If noe appear blown disconnect the positive side of the battery for ten minutes to reset the SUV's computer. If this doesn't work try replacing the relays for the dash. Now give it a try. Hopefully this works for you. Let me know how it works out. There are a couple other things you could check.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Check your battery and battery terminals from corrosion or loose connections.If you see any build up or corrosion on the battery terminals , disconnect, clean and reconnect.
Clean with a wire brush if thats what you have in your garage.
Have your battery checked by an autopart store such as Autozone to confirm battery is holding charge .Should be a free check by Autozone.
check the connection on your battery terminal ends. if they are loose or corroded that could explain the intermittent no spark. also could be a short somewhere but id check the terminals first. I had that problem once and the car did all sorts of weird things. airbag light, check engine light, randomly wouldnt start until i would mess with the battery.
If you have to charge the battery so as you can start it, and it starts ok once this is done then I would say its probably the battery. Have you got any charge lights on when the engine is running? (if yes then its your alternator) Are all the leads fitted and tightened correctly? (if not clean and tighten them) Have you got charge lights on when you turn on the ignition before you start the enginge (if not check the bulb). All these are simple checks you should be able to do, you could also check before you charge the battery and try starting the engine turn your headlights on (ingnition on) and see if they are bright and stat reasonably bright when you turn the key to the start position. (if they are dull or go very dull then its is your battery) After all these checks you find that it is your battery at fault I would get the charge rate checked but also check theat you dont have a short somewhere that is running your battry flat overnight, if you remove the positive terminal from the battery before you leave it overnight and reconnect it in the morning and try starting it, this will check it you have a short that is running it down. (if it starts you have a short) another way to check is close all doors and make sure everything is turned off including any inspection light that might be fitted under the hood, and remover the positive lead from the battery, then just touch the lead to the terminal if you get a spark then its a short or someting that is draining it (maybe the radio or mobile phine attachment.)
Do the following:1)key in the ON position:remove the 7.5 gauge fuse.Tach needle should read "0:". 2)put it back,go on the engine and unplug the green plug on the igniter -the big one,with 5 or 6 wires on it.The needle on tach reading should be zero.If not you have a short circuit on the black wire between that plug and the plug on the conbination meter.3) If the reading is zero with the plug disconnected,the black wire for the tach is short-circuited inside the igniter. I have one available.email email@example.com
For safety purposes always always remove the negative side first. This eliminates the possibility of shorting out your wrench against the body or any other negative charged part. There is strong possibility of shorting out the battery which could blow up. This happened to my brother as a kid and he ended up with battery acid in his eyes.
Try unhooking the negative side of the battery as this may reset any relays.