How do I remove the pcv valve from a 3.8 liter engine in a 2005 dodge grand caravan? I cannot pull it out.
1. BUY THE NEW PCV VALVE FROM THE DEALER. part #4648973AC (I paid $9.95 in the Detroit area).
2. PCV valve is located on top of 'rear' valve cover. There is a black rubber pipe connecting the PCV to the upper intake manifold. The rubber pipe is like an inverted 'U' shape.
3. To remove the rubber pipe, you will need to squeeze the band clamps. Remove the upper end first. You will then be able to rotate the lower end clockwise, if necessary, to get enough clearance to use pliers to squeeze the band clamp. Remove the pipe.
4. You should be able to see the small chrome pipe on the end of the PCV valve. However, the PCV valve is completely surrounded by a plastic collar/shroud, part of the plastic valve cover. So, the only part of the PCV that is accessible is the small chrome pipe.
5. THIS IS WHY YOU NEED TO BY THE NEW PART FIRST. I needed to clamp onto the end of the PCV pipe with VISE-GRIPS. This will crush the end of the pipe. You will hold the vise grips in a horizontal fashion, towards your right, in your right hand.
6. Rocking the pipe, while carefully levering the vise grips on top of the plastic collar, you will walk the PCV valve up, and out. BE PATIENT. You do not want to crack the valve cover!
7. The rubber grommet should come out with the PCV metal valve. If not, you will need to pull it out (needle nose pliers?).
8. Install the new PCV valve. I used a film of white lithium spray to help the insertion. Note, there is a groove molded into the rubber grommet that must snap into place. I used a 5/8" deepwell socket as a 'pusher', to ease the PCV valve into place (just push, do not hammer). You should be able to feel it positively snap into place inside the plastic collar, otherwise it is not properly installed and will not seal. If properly installed, you will not be able to pull it out by hand.
9. Install the PCV rubber pipe. Slide the clamps towards the middle of the pipe, fit the pipe over PCVvalve. Be sure it is seated all the way to the bottom of the plastic collar. Squeeze the clamp and work down to the bottom of the pipe, then release. Repeat for the upper end of the pipe and spring clamp.
10. Have a cold one. You earned it.
Jun 27, 2009 |
2005 Dodge Grand Caravan