How to remove/installed starter for 03/ bmw325xi
The starter is bolted to the bell housing which is at the back of the engine.
First,disconnect the earth strap of the battery.There are two bolts holding the starter in place at the bell housing area of the gearbox(Top of the gearbox).First off your going to need a 10mm, 13mm, 15mm, 17mm and 19mm sockets with 17mm wrench to remove all the bolts that hold the things in your way together. You will also need a flashlight, flat head screw driver, ratchet, a couple of extensions, a crowbar, a bottle jack (to move the tranny up and down).
The procedure is as follows:--
1) First step is to jack the car up.
2) Second step is to remove the Battery! Very Important! When you remove the battery make sure to clean up the terminals and the battery posts! This requires a 13mm ratchet for removal.
3) Next step is to accesses the tranny cross member and remove the two 13mm bolts that hold the tranny in place. Your going to have to have to swing the tranny up and down with the bottle jack in order to reach certain bolts. Make sure you disconnect the exhaust bolts too!they are 13mm as well.
4) Now to gain access to the starter you to have to remove a few things.Well first your going to have to remove The air box. Your going to need a 10mm socket to do this. After removing the air box your going to have to remove the MAF, the intake plenum and all the vac lines attached. You will only need a flat head screwdriver to unfasten all of the hose clamps. Leave the MAF attached to the top side of the air box for convenience.
5) Next step is to remove the throttle body. You will need a 10mm socket with wobble bar extensions to remove the four throttle body bolts and the flat head screwdriver to remove the hose clamps. There is 2 vacuum lines one small one that goes to the Carbon canister and one big one that goes to the valve cover. There is also 2 coolant lines that hook into the throttle body to help heat the intake air for better fuel atomization.Don't forget to remove the throttle cable and the clip for the TPS. Now you can remove the TB.
6) Next step is to remove the Heater core coolant lines.
7) Now remove a bracket that holds two wire clips to the motor directly behind the starter motor. You have to remove the right clip before you can access the 19mm bolt.
8) The starter is now seen clearly.Now to remove the starter out .First remove the three wires from behind the starter solenoid, There is a thick Black one, a thick Red one and a thin Black one with a yellow stripe. The thin one just slides out off the clip, the other two need to be removed with a 10mm socket DON'T LOSE THE BOLT!
9) Now have the tranny jacked up all the way with the bottle jack. Now you can gain access to the TOP starter bolt on the tranny side. Slide the open end side of a 17mm wrench onto the starter bolt then secure it.
10) Now drop the tranny out slowly and let it hang, you now have enough room to slide a 17mm wrench on the BOTTOM starter bolt.loosen the starter holding bolt and slide the starter out.
11) Before removing old starter check its position and in the same way insert new starter and fit it in reverse of disassembly.
Thanks. Keep updated for any more query. You can rate this solution
and show your appreciation.
Aug 23, 2010 |
BMW 325 Cars & Trucks