The Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP) on the 5.9L diesel engine is located (1) below the fuel injection pump. It is bolted to the back of the timing gear housing (7).
1. Disconnect electrical connector at CMP sensor.
2. Remove sensor mounting bolt (6).
3. Carefully twist sensor from timing gear housing.
4. Check condition of sensor O-ring.
1. Clean out machined hole in back of timing gear housing (cover).
2. Apply a small amount of engine oil
to sensor O-ring.
3. Install sensor into timing gear housing (cover) with a slight rocking action. Do not twist sensor into position as damage to O-ring may result. CAUTION: Before tightening sensor mounting bolt, be sure sensor is completely flush to back of timing gear housing (cover). If sensor is not flush, damage to sensor mounting tang may result.
4. Install mounting bolt and tighten. Refer to Torque
5. Connect electrical connector to sensor.