The following is verbatum from the mitsu engine overhaul manual... Steps 7 and 8 are a bit cryptic, but it seems like after you tighten the bolts to 20nm in the CORRECT PATTERN... you then go around tightening 1/4 turn through the pattern, then a final 1/4 turn through the pattern... do NOT tighten each bolt to 20, the 1/4 then another 1/4 before going to the next bolt, the idea is to get EVEN tightening across the head, so tighten her three times around the pattern! Now for the verbiage from Mitsu's overhaul manual...
(1) When installing the cylinder head bolts, check that the
shank length of each bolt meets the limit. If the limit is
exceeded, replace the bolt. - Limit: Max. 96.4 mm (3.79 in.)
(2) Install the washers.
(3) Apply engine oil to the bolt threads and washers.
(4) According to the tightening sequence, tighten the bolts to
75 Nm (54 ft.lbs.).
(5) Loosen the bolts completely.
(6) Torque the bolts to 20 Nm (14.5 -ft.lbs.)
(7) Tighten the bolts l/4 turns (90”) more.
(8) Tighten the bolts l/4 turns (90”) additionally.
Dec 04, 2008 |
1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT