this is for gas tank behind axle, not in front of axle.
SECTION 310-01A: Fuel Tank and Lines—Gasoline and Diesel
1999 Econoline Workshop Manual
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Fuel Tank — Aft-of-Axle
Fuel Line Disconnect Tool
High-Lift Transmission Jack
014-00942 or equivalent
WARNING: Do not smoke or carry lighted tobacco or open flame of any type when working on or near any fuel related component. Highly flammable mixtures are always present and may be ignited, resulting in possible personal injury.
WARNING: Fuel in the fuel system remains under high pressure even when the engine is not running. Before repairing or disconnecting any of the fuel lines or fuel system components, the fuel system pressure must be relieved to prevent accidental spraying of fuel, causing personal injury or a fire hazard.
The 55 gallon aft-of-axle fuel tank (9002) is shown; the 35 gallon aft-of-axle fuel tank is similar.
- Disconnect the battery ground cable.
- Relieve the fuel pressure; refer to Section 310-00A .
- Drain the fuel from the fuel tank; refer to Section 310-00A .
- Raise and support the vehicle; refer to Section 100-02 .
NOTE: In this illustration, the vehicle body is shown removed for clarity.
Disconnect the fuel tank filler pipe (9034) and the filler vent tube from the fuel tank.
- Position the jack under the fuel tank.
- Remove the 3 bolts.
- Remove the 3 nuts.
- Remove the fuel tank support straps (9092).
- Partially lower the fuel tank.
- Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump (9350); refer to Section 310-00A .
- Disconnect the fuel pump and fuel tank sending unit electrical connector.
- On gasoline fuel tanks, disconnect the hose(s) from the evaporative emission valve (9B593).
- On gasoline fuel tanks only, disconnect the fuel tank pressure sensor electrical connector.
- Lower the fuel tank.
- If the fuel tank is being replaced, transfer the fuel pump, fuel tank sending unit, the evaporative emission valves and the fuel tank pressure sensor (gasoline fuel tanks) or the plug (diesel fuel tanks) to the new fuel tank.