1996 Dodge Caravan with a 3.0L . Long cranking time before starti
You need to do a fuel pressure check.. You will need a special fuel gauge and the appropriate fittings and adapters are needed to properly test the fuel pressure.
1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
Remove the fuel pump relay form the Power Distribution Center (PDC) Start the engine and run until it stalls. attempt restating the engine until it will no longer run. Turn the ignition key off. Disconnect the cable from the negative battery terminal. Replace the fuel pump relay in the PDC. Any if you get any trouble codes at this time you will need to see a shop to have them cleared.
2. Disconnect the quick-connect fuel line fitting fuel gauge into the fuel line using the appropriate T-fitting and adapters.
3. Start the engine and check the pressure on the gauge, your reading should be 49 PSI with the pressure with the engine idling.
4. if the fuel pressure is not 49 PSI:
1) if fuel pressure is higher you could have a pinched of clogged fuel return hose of pipe. if the line is not obstructed check the fuel pressure regulator.
2) if fuel pressure is lower check the fuel filter, look for a pinched of clogged fuel hose between the tank and the fuel rail. check the pressure regulator for malfunctions. Look for leaks in the fuel line.
Hope this helps.
Jan 16, 2009 |
1995 Dodge Caravan