The crank sensor is located on the engine near the flywheel axis of the crankshaft.
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Removal & Installation
Location of the crankshaft position sensor on the 2.4L engine
Location of the crankshaft position sensor on the 3.0L engine
Location of the crankshaft position sensor on the 3.3L and 3.8L engines
On the 2.4L engine, the crankshaft position sensor is mounted to the engine block behind the alternator, just above the oil filter. On the 3.0L, 3.3L and 3.8L engines, the crankshaft position sensor is mounted on the transaxle housing, above the vehicle speed sensor.
- Disconnect the negative battery cable.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Disconnect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
- Unfasten the sensor mounting screw, then remove the sensor from the vehicle by pulling it straight out.
If the sensor removed is going to be re-installed, clean off the old spacer on the sensor face. A new spacer must be attached to the sensor face before installation. If the sensor is being replaced, be sure that a paper spacer is attached to the sensor face.
- Install sensor and push the sensor in until contact is made. While holding the sensor in this position, install and tighten the mounting bolt to 105 in. lbs. (12 Nm).
- Connect the crankshaft position sensor electrical connector.
- Lower the vehicle.
- Connect the negative battery cable.