Question about 1996 Chevrolet K1500

1 Answer

Want to know how to swicth from r12 to134a air con.

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 521 Answers

That cost varies from shop to shop. Seriously it does. There is no common cost but a large ball park number can run around 1500-2000 dollars. There are some shops who can/will do it for less that 1000 dollars.

Posted on Jul 22, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

3 Answers

91 Mercedes 300 E has R12 ac system that is no longer blowing cold. A faint bit of cool air sometimes shows up but it can hardly be called cool. Is there any additive out there compatible with R12?

Propane does the same as R12. I don't recommend it though(highly volatile). Best to convert to 134R. Last time I converted an R12 system was about 10 years ago. I would tell you how to do it, but I could get in trouble because you have to vent out the R12 first. I don't even know of a shop that has an R12 unit anymore. Good for you, they still have the adapters to go over your ports and the 134R today is compatible with the old systems oil. No need to change the compressor, dryer, and expansion valve.

Jun 06, 2016 | AC Cars & Trucks

5 Answers

How do I convert from r12 to 134a cooling refrigerant in a 1992 Buick Lesabre?

I think you can still find the old R12 at a premium price. It would be worth it if your air con system holds well with no significant leaks. Genuine 12 Refrigerant LARGE SIZE 2 14 oz Cans
The old refrigerant and oil are not compatible with the new stuff. The expansion valve is questionable, may or may not work properly. The oil in the compressor, in the evaporator, in the condensor, and in the accumulator/filter/dryer need be removed thuroughly. New service port adapters are installed. Then the new R134 can be introduced. You may find a conversion kit with instructions.
I recall a bulletin calling for replacing the oil and reusing the refrigerant, repeatedly, 2-3X, the final oil replacement gets the new refrigerant.
When ever the system is exposed to the atmosphere, it should be evacuated before refilling. So much to think about and consider.

May 26, 2015 | 1992 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

Air con leak

usually the evaporator is right by the blower motor under the dash.although(sorry to say) a/c leaks can be like cancer in a person.Also ask a mechanic if the expansion valve needs to be changed carefull taking it out and you will need orr ring replacements in the joints you take apart .when you are finished you need someone to do a pressure and vacuum the lines before any new coolant is put in,(coolant R12 ect)and ask if the dyer needs to be replaced

Dec 13, 2013 | 2005 Citroen C4 1.4i

1 Answer

A/c not blowing cold

It takes R12 from the factory. The charge ports are located under the air cleaner housing on the right side. You can see them, but to service them you need to loosen the air cleaner housing, two bolts, and remove it or get it out of the way. If you want to charge it, or just "top it off" yourself you can get a kit off of ebay that has the hoses you need. Some sellers won't sell the R12 unless you have a license. I bought the R12 off of a seller on craigslist and the hose from ebay separately and saved a ton of money because I know my car well. But if there's anything wrong with your car, I highly recommend taking in to a garage like Firestone and have them look at it and/or do the work. If you don't know the history of the car, it may have been converted to R134- look for any stickers in the engine compartment indicating this. You don't want to mix different kinds of refrigerants. If there are leaks, bad circuits or components, diagnosing or repairing an A/C system is complicated and an expert is going to have to work on it. Take it to Firestone, they can do R12. R12 works much better than R134. R134 pollutes just as much and even more prone to leaking so don't feel guilty about using R12. It's not worth the expense of converting it and you wont' be satisfied with the results because it won't get cold enough.

Jul 22, 2012 | 1992 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme

2 Answers

Air con pump not engauging


You should verify that your AC system still has a full charge of refridgerant, and if it does,
The problem is most likely the AC clutch assembly on the front of the compressor.

Since the dash light works, and the fan turns on, there is power to the system, but the compressor won't turn on if the pressure switch says the charge is low, and if you turn the switch, and someone can hear a click of the compressor clutch solenoid, but no air, the clutch assembly is probably the culprit

Nov 06, 2009 | 2000 Honda Civic

1 Answer

How Do I Recharge The Air-conditioning On A 2002 Lincoln Navigator?

You take it to the AIR-CON people and get it recharged under pressure with there equipment dont try playing with it your self as the freon used to be R12 but now has changed so get it done the correct way
about 1/2hr thats all it takes..

Sep 30, 2009 | 2002 Lincoln Navigator

1 Answer

Have a 1986 F-350 A/C puts out cool air but not cold. Don't know if system is R12 or 134A. Compressor is centr and has 2 threaded black caps with schrader valves for gage connection plus 1 quick disconnect...

in 1986 it is r12 but you can convert to r134 which is a ton cheaper than paying for r12 you need a license to buy r12 r134 is right on the shelf at auto zone they also sell retro fit kits with everything you need to convert your system and they work very well

Aug 18, 2009 | 1998 Chevrolet Cavalier

1 Answer

I need to know what the refridgerant capacity of the air conditioning system of my 1985 F 150 5.0L.

It should be written on a label under the hood. But if you are using 134A instead of R12 only fill the system 85% of the R12 capacity.

May 03, 2009 | Ford F-150 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Oily smoke/mist coming from under bonnet from large pipe feed

That is the R12 Refrigerant from the AC System. A Seal has Blown out of the AC Compressor. You should be ok driving to a Garage , Just keep the air off and watch it Close.

Jan 21, 2009 | 1999 Saab 9-5

1 Answer


sounds like your air con is very low on refrigant gas get it checked and if it is they will use r134 where they used to use r12 the good stuff cant get it any mor because of greenies thy said r12 was poluting the world and you have to get your system retro fitted to take the new gas that is not as good as r12

Aug 03, 2008 | 1990 Toyota Corolla

Not finding what you are looking for?
1996 Chevrolet K1500 Logo

Related Topics:

57 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chevrolet Experts


Level 3 Expert

76630 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22219 Answers

Jeff Turcotte
Jeff Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8499 Answers

Are you a Chevrolet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides