REMOVAL & INSTALLATION
The power steering gear should not be disassembled in an attempt to service
or adjust. If a malfunction or oil leak should occur, the complete rack and
pinion steering gear assembly should be replaced. Note that Chrysler LH platform
vehicles use two different power rack and pinion steering gears; standard and an
available electronically controlled, variable-assist speed-proportional power
steering rack and pinion assembly. The removal and installation procedures are
similar and the following procedures should suffice for both units. And, as with
the standard unit, the complete variable-assist rack and pinion assembly should
be replaced in event of malfunction, although the solenoid control valve control
module and solenoid control valve may be replaced separately. CAUTION
The Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR)
system must be disarmed before removing the rack and pinion steering gear.
Failure to do so may cause accidental deployment of the air bag, resulting in
unnecessary SIR system repairs and/or personal injury.
- Disconnect negative battery cable. Disarm the air bag system.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Remove the gear shift cable from the shifter lever on the transaxle.
- Loosen the bolt at the gear shift cable to transaxle mount. Remove the cable
from the transaxle.
- Lower the vehicle.
- If necessary, disconnect the throttle cable from the throttle body and
remove throttle cable bracket.
- Remove both wiper arm assemblies from the wiper arm pivots. Remove the cowl
closure panel and weatherstrip as an assembly from the cowl.
- Disconnect the wiper module wiring harness from the vehicle wiring harness.
Remove the wiper module assembly from the vehicle cowl panel.
- Disconnect the air plenum from the throttle body, PCV make up air tube and
the idle air control motor. Remove he plenum from the right side of the vehicle
through the wiper module area.
- Remove the vacuum connector from the power brake booster at the intake
- Turn the front wheels to the full left position. Then turn the wheels back
in the other direction until the roll pin in the lower steering coupler is
accessible. Turn the ignition key switch to the LOCK position to keep the
steering column from rotating after the coupler is removed from the steering
gear. If the steering column shaft rotates beyond the normal number of turns in
either direction, the air bag clock spring will be damaged.
- Using paint, mark the steering coupling and steering gear shaft for
orientation. Using the correct size punch, remove the roll pin from the steering
- If equipped with a brake pedal travel sensor, remove the pedal travel sensor
from the brake booster as follows:
- Pump the brake pedal approximately 20 times. This will bleed the vacuum
stored in the booster.
- Remove the wiring harness connector from the sensor.
- Using a small flat tipped tool, lift the retainer ring from the notch. Then
remove the retaining ring from the grommet.
- Remove the pedal travel sensor from the brake booster by carefully pulling
it straight out of its mounting grommet. Do not twist the sensor.
- Loosen and remove the two nuts attaching the master cylinder to the brake
booster. Remove the master cylinder with the brake lines connected, and position
- Remove the power steering pressure hose and return hose from the power
- Bend back the retaining tabs on bolt attaching the tie rods to the steering
gear and remove the bolts.
- Lay the tie rods, bolts and plate as an assembly on the bellhousing of the
- If the rack and pinion steering gear unit being removed is a speed
proportional steering gear, disconnect the vehicle wiring harness from the
solenoid control module.
- Remove the four bolts attaching the steering gear assembly to the
crossmember. Slide the steering gear forward in the vehicle to disengage
steering coupler from the steering gear shaft. After gear is disengaged, do not
rotate the steering gear shaft.
- Remove the steering gear assembly from the vehicle through the area in the
cowl from which the windshield wiper module was previously removed.
- If a replacement rack is being installed, grasp the shaft of the steering
gear and rotate until steering gear center take off is in a full left turn
position. Install the steering gear into the vehicle through the wiper module
opening in cowl.
- If the original gear is being installed, align the paint mark on the
steering coupler with the mark on the steering gear shaft and install the
steering gear shaft into the steering gear coupler.
- If a replacement rack is being installed, the steering gear shaft and
steering coupler must be aligned. Rotate the steering gear shaft back from the
full left turn position until the master spline on the steering gear shaft is
aligned with the master spline on the steering coupler. At this point, install
the steering gear into the coupler.
- Align the steering gear with the mounting holes in the crossmember and
install bolts. Be sure the brake line routing clip is installed under the left
steering gear mounting bracket. Tighten the mounting bolts to 50 ft. lbs. (68
- Install the steering coupler to steering gear shaft retaining roll pin until
it is flush with the top edge of the steering coupler.
- If equipped with 3.5L engine, correct orientation of the power steering
pressure hose at the power steering pump must be maintained. Be sure the power
steering hose is installed in orientation clip at the power steering pump prior
to tightening tube fitting. Attach the power steering pressure and return lines
onto the proper ports of the power steering gear. Tighten both fittings to 23
ft. lbs. (31 Nm).
- Align the center take off on the steering gear with the tie rod assemblies.
Install the tie rod attaching bolts and washers into the steering gear assembly.
Be sure the washers are installed between the tie rods and the steering gear.
Tighten the tie rod to steering gear attaching bolts to 55 ft. lbs. (75 Nm).
Bend the retaining tabs against the heads of the bolts.
- Install the pedal travel sensor retainer ring on the travel sensor grommet
in the vacuum booster. The tab on the retaining ring should be located in top
notch of the mounting grommet.
- Sparingly lubricate pedal travel sensor O-ring with fresh brake fluid.
Install the pedal travel O-ring into the pedal travel sensor mounting grommet.
Coat the end of the sensor with fresh brake fluid and install by pushing
straight into the mounting grommet on the brake booster until the tab on the
sensor is past the retaining ring on grommet.
- Install the wire harness connector to the pedal travel sensor.
- Install the master cylinder and tighten nuts to 250 inch lbs. (28 Nm).
- Install the power booster vacuum hose to the intake manifold. Install the
windshield wiper module to the cowl panel. Reconnect the electrical harness to
- If removed, install the air intake plenum and reconnect to the idle air
control motor, PCV make up air tube and throttle body.
- Install the windshield wiper module assembly into the vehicle cowl area and
reconnect the wiring harness from the wiper module to the vehicle wiring
- Install the cowl closure panel and tighten the six mounting screws. Install
the weather strip on shock towers.
- Install the windshield washer hoses on the wiper arms, then install arms on
the windshield wiper pivots.
- If removed, install the throttle cable to the bracket and install to the
- Reconnect the wiring harness from the solenoid control valve onto the
solenoid control module. Be sure that the harness connector seal is in good
condition before installation.
- Raise and safely support the vehicle.
- Install the gear shift cable onto the shift lever on transaxle. Install gear
shift cable on cable mounting bracket of transaxle and securely tighten bolt.
- Lower the vehicle. Connect the negative battery cable.
- Refill the pump reservoir to the correct lever with Mopar Power Steering
Fluid or equivalent. Do not use any type of automatic transmission fluid. Start
the engine and turn the steering wheel several times from stop to stop to bleed
the air from the fluid in the system. Check and add fluid as required.
- Adjust the front suspension toe setting.