that is what it is desgined to do - reduce acceleration and apply the brakes intermittently when the wheels spin. You have a switch you cn push to disable it. You need to disable each time you start car. See owner manual.
06-10: Traction Control
1996 Contour, Mystique Workshop Manual
DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION
Traction Control System
The optional traction control system is designed to control wheel spin when accelerating on slippery or loose surfaces. Traction control system is available only with anti-lock brakes.
The traction control system includes the following components:
- Hydraulic control unit.
- Throttle control actuator (9N825).
- Traction control switch.
- Traction control warning indicator.
- Front brake anti-lock sensor (2C204).
- Rear brake anti-lock sensor (2C190).
The traction control system operates as follows:
- System functions by transferring torque from the spinning wheel to the wheel with the most traction.
- This is achieved by applying the brake at the spinning wheel through the hydraulic control unit or reducing the throttle opening.
- Traction control braking and throttle control occur at vehicle speeds up to 50 km/h (30 mph).
- At vehicle speeds above 50 km/h (30 mph), only throttle limiting control is used.
- If speed control is operating when traction control system engages the traction control system will disengage speed control through the use of a speed control relay. This action is the same as applying the brake pedal with speed control engaged.
Traction Control Switch
The traction control switch is located on the instrument panel, left of the steering column.