possible internal locking pawl stuck fault or adjustment required
sourced from another forum
The park interlock cable is part of the brake/shift lever interlock system. Correct cable adjustment is important to proper interlock operation. The gear shift and park lock cables must both be correctly adjusted in order to shift out of PARK.
1. Remove floor console as necessary for access to the park lock cable.
2. Shift the transmission into the PARK position.
3. Turn ignition switch to LOCK position. Be sure ignition key cylinder is in the LOCK position. Cable will not adjust correctly in any other position.
NOTE: If the key will not turn to the LOCK position, pull up on the cable lock button and manually move the cable in and out until the key can be turned to the LOCK position.
4. Pull cable lock button up to release cable, if necessary.
5. Remove and discard the cable adjuster lock pin, if a new cable is being installed.
6. Ensure that the cable is free to self-adjust by pushing cable rearward and releasing.
7. Push lock button down until it snaps in place. The lock should be 1-2mm below the surface of the cylindrical portion of the cable