GM Cadillac Deville Fleetwood ELD Seville
Alternator - Removal and Installation - 4.6L Engine Except Seville
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
2. Remove the cover from the headlamps and radiator shroud.
3. Remove the air cleaner, if necessary.
4. Disconnect the left engine torque strut from the radiator support.
5. Disconnect the upper trans oil cooler line from the trans cooler.
6. Remove the right cooling fan and the left cooling fan.
7. Remove the serpentine belt from the generator pulley.
8. Remove the bolt from the front top of the generator, and the bolt from the lower front of the generator.
9. Detach the harness connector and output cable from the generator.
The bolt nearest the exhaust manifold cannot be removed from the bracket but can be backed out to allow for removal of the generator.
10. Removal the A/C splash shield from the cradle, and the access panel from the bottom side of the radiator support.
11. Disconnect the engine harness from the cradle.
The generator can be moved out away from the engine and removed from the bottom side of the engine compartment.
12. Connect the negative battery cable.
13. Install the generator to mounting with the two bolts to the rear of the generator. Hand tighten the bolts.
14. Connect the engine harness clip to the cradle.
15. Install the access panel to the lower radiator support. Install the A/C splash shield to the cradle.
16. Attach the harness connector and output cable to the generator.
17. Tighten the rear mounting bolts to 36 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). The output cable to 15 ft. lbs. (20 Nm).
18. Install the bolt to the lower front of the generator and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (47 Nm). Install the bolt to the top front of the generator and tighten to 36 ft. lbs. (47 Nm).
19. Rotate the drive belt tensioner and install the drive belt around the generator pulley. Inspect for correct alignment of the belt with all the accessory pulleys.
20. Install the left cooling fan, and then the right.
21. Attach the upper trans oil cooler line to the trans cooler.
22. Install the left engine torque strut.
23. If the air cleaner was removed, install it now.
24. Replace the cover from the headlamps and radiator shroud.
25. Connect the negative battery cable.
Fig. 1 Alternator mounting-4.6L Northstar engine
Fig. 2 Component view of the generator and electrical connector
Fig. 3 Remove the top retaining bolt for the alternator
Fig. 4 Loosen the lower mounting bolt
Fig. 5 Remove the protective cap to gain access to the electrical connectors
Fig. 6 Removing the retaining nut that holds the battery cable to the alternator
Fig. 7 Back the bolt on the rear of the alternator out as far as possible and the unit can be removed from the mounting
Fig. 8 Pull the lower mounting bolt from the generator
Fig. 9 With the cable removed, attempt to bring the alternator through the allotted opening
Fig. 10 - Rotate the generator, if it aids the removal
Fig. 11 - Rotating the generator nose down . . .
Fig.12 . . . seemed to be the only way to extract it from the mounting