Question about 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

2 Answers

What is the little hose called that runs into just below oil fill

What is the little hose called that runs into just below the oil fill cap called? Mine has a hole in it and I would like to replace it. It blows air out when engine is running.

Posted by on

  • junky777 Jul 15, 2009

    No it is not a 3/4 inch hose. It is maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inches. It is a metal tube that looks like it has a 1/2 inch to 5/8 inch rubber piece leading into the tube below the oil fill cap. The metal tube runs to the back of the engine into another rubber piece. Sorry I am not sure what the correct terminology for these pieces are.



2 Answers

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert who has written 50 answers of more than 400 characters.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 109 Answers

This is usually part of the emission control system that prevents crankcase oil vapors from venting to the atmosphere. Any decent auto parts store should have a computer breakdown of the various systems especially any engine components, and especially anything having to do with emission control. Arrive with a decent description of what you are looking for, the year of the vehicle, engine model type, A/C or not, and they can help you. It is probably a certain length and size of standard hose that they stock by the roll and just sell it to you by the foot. Shouldn't have any special fittings as it usually just a slip-fit onto fittings near the cap and also somewhere on one of the systems of the engine. If it is BLOWING, and not a vacuum leak, this is the supply hose to the upper part of the engine for the positive crank case ventilation system. If this has helped, please rate it accordingly. Good luck.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Jeep Master
  • 6,982 Answers

If it is a 3/4" hose similar to a heater hose, it goes to your air pump system. it can be replaced with standard heater hose.

Posted on Jul 15, 2009

  • Richard Scordino Jul 15, 2009

    Know what? Even if you can't "name that part" you can simply get a section of rubber hose, cut the metal line where it's leaking and put the rubber hose on right there. likely you don't need more that three or four inches and for security, put a couple of mini'clamps on the closed!!! Sort of like if you see a guy bleeding, you don't need to know his name to give him a bandaid!!!



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Ford 5.4L 3 valve motor has vacuum in the oil pan and will not run with the fill cap off.

The only vacuum being pulled, is the hose from the valve
cover (PVC) hose ,I believe, to the throttle body area

The reason you have a crankcase vacuum so high on the other
valve cover & oil fill cap, is that air can't get in to replace the air
drawn in behind the throttle body

eg: you have no air coming in,find out why

I think the air in comes from the ducting around the MAF Sensor
area in a 1" plastic or rubber tubing to the cover where your fill cap is

My Lincoln is like that

I have been around 5.4 fords I just haven't googled a picture of yours,you can do that or look over your truck

The vacuum amount or flow rate is controlled by the PCV valve
hoses & system design,so you have no air coming in the other
cover or little,thus high crank case vacuum

That said-- what your doing is NOT a test & in some motors will set
a MIL Lamp & OBD Codes

Once the oil cap if off, you have an open hole for air to rush in & back to the pcv & intake,so leave it on when the motor is running

Opposite your theory

It dies because with the oil cap off, your letting in unmetered air
that goes into the intake,cylinders & out the exhaust & you loose
fuel trim control,as the oxygen sensors & pcm are confused

Today's vehicles work in Milli Seconds & only work within programmed parameters

Apr 10, 2014 | 2004 Ford F150

1 Answer

1996 Lexus LS400; the engine coolant keeps running

Check the oil dip stick if it is a milky white this is really bad being cracked engine head or blown head gasket.
More than likely and best out come it will be the radiator or a radiator hose.
If you can see water stain some where around the radiator it does not need to be a big amount.
Or a radiator hose that may have water around it or coming out when hot then that is your leak.
Maybe a good idea to take to a radiator place or a mechanic ask them to put a pressure test on the radiator.
Also only fill radiator when cold or if you need to do when hot make shore the car is running to avoid cracking the engine head as this will make any grown person cry $$$$
And do on a hill with engine facing up running and cap off little bubbles will come out keep filling when bubbles stop put cap on fill reservoir ( a little container next to the radiator).
Let me know if this helps.
Regards Craig

Feb 02, 2018 | Lexus Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Oil change in a 1986 chevy nova

Very easy on this car. You don't even need to put the car up if you're not a big person. Remove the oil fill cap on the valve cover the warm and off engine. Unbolt the oil pan drain bolt at the bottom (don't lose the gasket) and let the oil drain out. Clean off bolt hole face and put the gasket and bolt back on. Bolt does not need much torque. Unscrew the oil filter on the front of the engine (might need filter wrench). Clean off filter face and make sure old gasket is removed (usually comes off with the filter). Put on new filter. Do not overtighten

While underneath, look around for leaks, damage to CV joint boots, cracks in hoses, etc.

Fill with about 3.5 qt 10-30W oil. Put oil fill cap back on. Run engine for about 30 sec. Shut off and check for leaks. Check oil level on dipstick after a couple minutes of engine running and add oil if needed.

Mark date and odometer in your log book. Recycle used oil.

Feb 08, 2013 | 1986 Chevrolet Nova

1 Answer

Mitsubishi challenger is using toomuch water

check for loose hose clamps . expanded top hose ( over clips). faulty radiator cap, signs of corrosion at top or bottom of radiator. overheating engine remove radiator cap wqhen warn and completely fill run engine and watch for air bubbles in radiator Make sure that the radiator is sucking water back from the overflow bottle The little hose is good and the cap is allowing this to happen. check for leaks in the heater hoses anjd taps

Jan 21, 2013 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Hello! I have 2007 Acura rdx,when you opening the oil filing cap and engine still runs,It's comes boost and little oil on your hand from that hole?Expecelly when you accelerating My friends saying...

All engines spill oil when running from the fill cap. That is why user manuals state that the oil should be filled only when the engine is not running!

Oct 23, 2017 | 2007 Acura RDX

1 Answer

Car is running hot added coolant runs fine for a while today I was adding coolant to the reserve tank and saw a hose that is loose but can't find where it should be connected. When adding coolant it...

  • There are two hoses on an Antifreeze reservoir tank.
  • One is to allow escape in case of unexpected back pressure or overfill of the reservoir.
  • The other will be a hose that clamps on to the radiator right below the cap on a little spout coming off the fill neck of the radiator. This hose is the actual path the antifreeze takes when the radiator is low pressure pulls the antifreeze out of the reservoir to use.

  • Hope this helps and thank you for using FixYa.
Regards, Tony

Jul 04, 2011 | 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

1 Answer

I can not find my oil cap in my 1971 Ford mustang Mach 1 where would it be at?

Look on the drivers side front of the valve cover and you will see the oil fill cap. It is the large cap with a hose connected to it. Here is a photo of the oil fill cap located, lower part of photo dead center. clay58_51.png

Jun 03, 2011 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

Need to buy engine oil for my 2001 VW New Beetle 2.0 gas engine - what weight of oil do I buy

The proper weight for your oil should be written on the oil fill cap located under your hood. It's like a 20 weight oil.

Aug 08, 2010 | 2001 Volkswagen Beetle

2 Answers


First make sure engine is cool.
-Put drain pan under car, coolant will run out.
-Remove the TOP radiator hose that runs to the metal thermastat housing. Coolant will now be running out, try and direct it to the drain pan below.
-Remove the thermastat housing, BEFORE removing the thermastat make sure you TAKE NOTE at how it is situated in the casting.
- Take the thermastat housing and run a wire brush on the flat spot were the old gasket material is.
-Both mating sides of the thermastat housing MUST BE PERFECTLY CLEAN. There can not be any old gasket material left.
-Insatll new thermastat.
-Put a very light amount of PERMATEX orange high temp. silicone on BOTH sides of the new gasket.
-Put a small amount on bolt threads also.
-Now install thermastat housing, and bolts.
-Tighten bolts down a little at a time, alternating between the two, unitl till they are tight.
-Install the radiator hose, and tighten hose clamp.
-Remove radiator cap, pour in coolant, until it sits just below the radiator cap neck. This may take a little time as the system has some air in it.
-Install the radiator cap. Make sure you radiator overflow tank is filled properly.
-Remove the drain pan, make SURE ALL the tools use used are secure, and out of the engine bay.
-Start engine, and place your heater control to 'HEAT"
-Let engine run until the top radiator hose is hot, which means you thermastat has opened.
-Keep watching the engine temp AT ALL TIMES, we wnat to make sure there is no air in the system.
-Inspect for any leaks. Now when the top radiator hose is hot make sure the hose clamp is tight.
Please let me know how it goes.

Feb 11, 2010 | 1993 Buick Skylark

1 Answer

Hose below oil fill cap has a hole in it. What is it called? What does it do?

It vents blow by cases from the crankcase back into the engine its part of the PCV (positive crankcase ventilation system). If it is split not a big deal hardware stores carry lots of hoses like that there about 50 cents per foot.

Jul 15, 2009 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Not finding what you are looking for?
2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Logo

67 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Jeep Experts


Level 3 Expert

80608 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers

Kevin Daniels

Level 3 Expert

1455 Answers

Are you a Jeep Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides