How to install a rear window regulator on a 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
How do you remove door panels and replace window regulator on an Intrigue?
Answer : For a 2002 Intrigue – Front Passenger
I didn’t disconnect battery. You use window switch later to align window tabs to regulator frame – with ignition off power locks work, nothing is exposed.
1. Remove visible screw under armrest, pop out finger inset oval panel, remove exposed 2nd screw. 2. Pop off door handle trim – lock button assembly slide thru its hole in door panel. 3. Pop off window switch trim/holder – slide thru its hole in door panel. 4. Remove 2 slot screws under bottom of door.
5. I used a smooth metal letter opener (or old fork) to pry panel from door at each point plastic fasteners insert into metal. Start prying a little, see three on bottom perimeter two inches from edge. Three on door open edge and three on door hinge edge. Slow and easy = whole panel will pop off. A metal compression spring fastener connects at top door hinge edge trim – pry out. Be sure door lock and window switch remain inside. Clean all surfaces of door panel and lay on back seat.
6. With panel off you see clear plastic moisture sheet stuck to door with black rubbery paste - peel it from door for reattachment. You now see mechanism and fastener points. Lay out replacement window regulator and motor on mat by door to help you recognize fastening points, etc.
7. Carefully pull glass all way up and hold in place with two pieces duck tape two feet long with ¼# removal tabovers. Put a foot on outside glass and loop over door frame a foot to inside glass – with room to later redo when you twice lower and raise a foot to access bolts removing/attaching it to regulator bar.
8. Remove 3 bolts holding motor to door. 9. Remove upper 2 bolts and lower 2 bolts holding regulator frame to door.
10. Lower window to expose thru panel cutout area two bolts holding glass tabs to regulator, retape securely. Remove bolts, raise window, retape securely by looping over door frame.
11. Window regulator and motor assembly comes out as unit. Unplug window switch tab to release from motor. BEFORE reassembly clean the inside of the door, put in a little Borax for bugs, etc.
12. Reassemble by starting three motor bolts, fitting regulator assembly in door cavity. Replug window switch, motor can be placed in thru oval slots, leave all bolts loose. Replace two upper and two lower regulator bracket bolts, leave loose.
13. Turn on ignition, use window switch to lower window glass regulator tab bracket until accessible thru panel cutout. Turn off ignition, manually lower glass until tabs align with regulator bracket bolt holes and tighten these bolts. Take tape off, turn on ignition, raise window to top.
14. Tighten three motor bolts and four regulator bracket bolts, make sure alignment is OK. Remove your tape residue - clean goo from both glass sides with Goof Off. THEN raise and lower several times to assure all fits and works like new.
15. Reinstall clear plastic sheet, aligning any fastener holes and rubbing down perimeter with a cloth .
16. Align door panel, assure door lock and window switch are pulled thru. Visually align each tab on door opening side and pop them in one at a time. Continue on bottom – make sure you see them align or they will break. Finish on door hinge side and with metal fastener at top. IF you break a fastener, take one from small bag you bought from Pep boys - otherwise take bag back for refund…
17. Reinstall 2 armrest screws and 2 bottom panel screws, then pop in door lock, trim piece and window switch.
Clean the window inside and out with glass cleaner/polish/raineze so it will slide easily and your done. You can’t do anything about the motors going out. You can avoid regulator tab breaks by making sure the window is raised BEFORE closing those big doors – down is the weak moment!! I work slow and clean as I go, the job took two hours. I highly recommend partsgeek.com – saved a bundle over dealer and they shipped everything in several days – as ordered!
Jul 27, 2009 |
2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue