Question about Ford Mustang

1 Answer

I need to replace the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. What size (cfm) and which brand would work best? Thanks!

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,129 Answers

If this is the stock 302 cu. inch V-8, the original carburetor will be a Motorcraft 550 CFM carb. If you would like an upgrade I wouldn't go up on the cfm's unless you do a intake manifold change to a competion intake such as a Edelbrock competition intake or other modifications (increased compression ratio, larger valves, higher lift cam etc.) that would allow increased flow.

Posted on Jul 14, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

1973 mach 1 351c intake openings is 2.6x1.8 edelbrock manifold 2665 has intake opening of 2.1x1.3 what is the purpose of the smaller intake opening on the intake

It is the primary ports for the smaller throttle valves of the staggered bore carburetor like a Delco Quadrajet or Holley spread bore.

Oct 24, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1973 mach 1 351c has an intake opening at head of 2.6x1.8. edelbrock manifold 2665 fits but the opening at intake port is 2.1x1.3 what is the purpose of smaller intake opening

I am going to take a few guesses here. Some intakes fit a wider range of products. Narrow opening could raise CFM draw due to funnel effect. Also don't remember if this year had 351/400 block. Some castings were taller, internals changed to drop from 400 to 351. Would not need big airflow for smaller 351.

You could check out the Elderbrock site for help. Difference between "Yea they fit" and "Yea, thats the right part".

Oct 24, 2012 | Ford Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to know what size of carburetor i need for a 1978 chevy with a 350 engine?

This is a complicated question. It depends on how you plan to drive the car.
A 500 cfm Holley would probably be more than enough unless you are using the car on a track.
300 cfm can probably work but may not give you much more performance than a stock Quadrajet.
Holley is the best for modifying a carb to a specific engine. You can pick the jets and other parts to your needs.
Quadrajet was stock on GM.

Jul 02, 2012 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I'm trying to change the intake manifold and carbuetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1 from a 2 barrel setup to a four barrel setup. I purchased a Edelborck Performer 2750 351 2V which should allowed the change....

As best as I can tell from the Edlebrock website and the information you included, you have the wrong intake. The intake you purchased is for "C" or Cleavland engine or even a "M"; when what you have appears to be a "W" Windsor engine.

Jan 25, 2010 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

What is the bolt torque settings for an intake manifold on a 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 351C and 2-barrel heads? Also, Where can I find a diagram showing the sequence or pattern for placing the intake...

Intake Manifold 5/16 Bolts Non-Hardening sealers 25 ft-lbs
Cast Iron Heads 3/8 Bolts 30 ft-lbs

The torque sequence is snug all down then just star left rear then right front then right rear then left front and so on

Nov 27, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I screwed up and did not label the wires when I took off the alternator on mt 1973 Mustang Mach 1 351C. I know where the orange wire goes, but the others(s) I'm clueless. Thanks

Red goes to the threade post,main output marked"batt".Orange and blue go to the post marked "feild",closest to the rear bearing.The white and black go to the post marked"sta" or stator.If there is a ground or all black wire it goes to one of the posts on the back of the alt that has no plastic insulater.Let me know if you need more help.

Nov 13, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1973 Mustang carburetor replacement.

it would be easier to buy the adapter but holley al;so makes intake manifold for this problem they are pricey but you get the full 600cfms with an adapter you wont get as much oomph out of it but and adapter is a good idea especially when you dont have 300 to blow on the manifold

Oct 02, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to replace the carburetor on my 1973 Mustang Mach 1. It has a 351C 2-barrel and it is leaking. What size and type and model should I get? Thanks! I'm restoring it so I know I'll have more questions.

The tag number is what you would use to get a refresh kit from an auto parts store. As for an NOS unit - good luck. They haven't made those in nearly 30 years. If you want it profesionally redone (like for a restoration) you might contact Pony Carbs. Otherwise, just clean it up, put a kit in it and go.

Good luck and hope this helps. The carb kit from localauto parts retailer would probably run you less than $30. 

Jul 16, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I'm in need of changing the 2 barrel carburetor on my 1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1. I understand that if i want to go to a 4 barrel carburetor I will need to change the intake (duh) and the heads. Is this...

To change to a 4 bbl u wil need to change the intake manifold, as for the heads only if u are going to preformance. Changing diffeent 2 bbls will not be of any advantage to you.

Jul 15, 2009 | Ford Mustang Cars & Trucks

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

307 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

76164 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5522 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides