Question about 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500

1 Answer

Upper and lower ball joints

1997 1/2 ton 2wd pickup

upper and lower ball joints

to replace do I have to unload the suspension springs before disassembling and also what is the best way to get the old ones out ?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Chevrolet Master
  • 2,002 Answers

Jack the truck clear of the ground and let the wheel assembly hang. After you remove the tire place your jack under the lower control arm so it's firm. Remove the cotter pin, if you have one and loosen the big nut almost off. Wedge a "pickle fork" between the control arm and the spindle and give it a belt with a hammer until the ball joint pops. Raise the jack so you can undo the nut easily and separate the control arm and spindle.
The upper ball joint is riveted or bolted in. Grind the rivets or use a cold chisel and remove the ball joint. Clean up the area with some sandpaper, dirt , loose rust, etc.and put the new joint in. Put the spindle back on using the jack if necessary and put the nut back on and tighten.
The lower ball joint is pressed in. Tie the spindle out of the way and brace the lower control arm with some blocks or the jack if you have to. A few whacks with a hammer should pop the joint out. Clean the hole out lightly, just to remove loose rust and dirt. Put the ball joint, minus the grease fitting ,,in the hole and use the jack with a block of wood, to put it in place.You may have to fiddle with the spindle to make sure it is lined up. I've never had any trouble using a 1ton trolley jack and the weight of the truck to put the lower ball joint back in. Replace the nut and grease fitting.
The new ball joints will probably come with cotter pins, use them. Make sure the new joints are tight or they will wear the holes in the spindle. Don't forget to grease the new joints. Hope this helps.

Posted on Jul 14, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Where are the grease points on a 2004 silverado 1/2 ton 4x4

There may not be any on a 1/2 ton. Check your upper and lower ball joints, and tie rod ends. Most newer vehicles (autos and light pickups) are made with 'permanently' lubricated joints. Some after market manufacturers provide for lube fittings, so if you've had any suspension components replaced, there may be fittings.

Mar 14, 2018 | Cars & Trucks

2 Answers

How to remove upper ball joint on driver side of an 1994 GMC Sonoma

The OEM ball joint is riveted into the upper control arm. There are two possible ways to replace the joint. You can purchase the entire upper control arm/ball joint assembly, which comes complete with the upper control arm bushings. This part costs about $150.00. You will also have to deal with the coil spring when replacing it this way. You can also buy just the ball joint for about $30.00. This will require that you drill out the rivets of the original ball joint and then bolt in the replacement with the bolts that are provided with it. The 2WD and 4WD versions are the same. See this link.

Mar 18, 2015 | 1994 GMC Sonoma

1 Answer

Is a suspension spring compressing tool needed to change lower control arm/ball joint front

usually when the spring is above and over the upper control arm you jack the center of the car up until the wheel clears the ground.
At that point the lower ball joint can be removed. Hope this helps.

Nov 30, 2014 | 2002 Mercedes-Benz C-Class

1 Answer

How can i replace the ball joint on my ford fiesta 02 model , it is rivetted on the lower arm.

Front suspension parts eventually wear out, but this sudden onset of slop in your ball joint probably means a lubrication failure. But wait! you say. My ball joints are sealed--there's no grease fitting to pump fresh lubricant into. They're Lubed For Life, like it says right here in the owner's manual.You've just discovered the true life span of a permanently lubed suspension joint. The lubrication finally dries out, water intrudes inside the boot covering the moving parts, and rust and abrasive road dirt turn a ball joint or tie rod end into a loosey-goosey accident waiting to happen. Do not delay in repairing a failing ball joint or tie rod end. When it fails, the wheel involved will try to part company with your vehicle, and not quite succeed in doing so. This will precipitate two unfortunate events: loss of control at some speed, and considerable damage to the rest of the vehicle.If your vehicle has a strut-type suspension, or any other type of suspension system that doesn't involve the need to compress the springs and unload the control arms, you can easily replace the worn-out part using simple hand tools. If your vehicle uses upper and lower control arms, you'll need a spring compressor. You can rent one, but in this case we suggest you shop this procedure out to a professional mechanic. The energy stored in the spring is more than adequate to put a hurtin' on you. If the spring compressor slips, parts will fly out of the wheel well at ballistic velocities--probably right at an important part of your body, like your face.Some vehicles, particularly high-end cars, use a sophisticated rear-end suspension setup that may use ball-type joints, and the principles we're talking about here may apply. As always, consult the shop manual for specificsOne suggestion: If one joint has failed, the other is probably not far behind. As long as you have the tools out and your hands dirty, you may as well do both sidesWe recommend purchasing aftermarket premium-quality ball joints. Odds are they will outlast the OEM parts because they almost always have a grease fitting installed.

Nov 16, 2011 | Ford Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How do i change my rubber bushings on the front suspention of my 1997 dodge ram 1500

opper Control Arm Bushings
  • To access the upper control arm, remove the shock absorber and the strut bar. Also, disconnect the sway bar from the lower control arm, if your particular Ram model is equipped with it. After that, you can hold the coil spring in place with a spring compressor.
    Secure the wheel hub assembly to the chassis using a wire before you disconnect the upper ball joint. This will prevent damage to the brake hose. When ready, release the ball joint using a ball-stud loosening tool (see Resources).
    The upper control arm mounts to the chassis with a cam bolt assembly. Once removed, you can place the control arm on a vise and remove the bushings using a bushing service tool (see Resources). When installing the new bushings, do not use any lubricant but make sure the flange on the bushing end seats properly on the arm bore. Then re-install the upper control arm. When finished, take your Dodge vehicle to a good shop to align the front suspension.
Lower Control Arm Bushings
  • Remove the shock absorber and strut bar. If your particular model is equipped with a sway bar, disconnect it from the lower control arm.
    Secure the coil spring with a spring compressor and release the lower ball joint from the wheel/hub assembly using a ball stud loosening tool (see Resources).
    Now you can release the lower control arm by removing the rear mounting bolts. Remove the bushings with a bushing service tool (see Resources). When installing the new bushings, do not use lubricant and make sure they seat properly on the control arm bore. Then replace the lower control arm. When finished, take your Dodge vehicle to a good shop to align the front suspension

Oct 20, 2011 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Removing Ball joints

You'll need the repair manual for this. There are upper and
lower ball joints front and rear. You also have to deal with
a number of suspension components to access the ball
joints. Lower ball joints can be replaced by pressing old
out and new in using a large socket to match circumference
of the ball joint.

Dec 05, 2010 | 1997 Dodge Stratus

1 Answer

How do I replace the upper Control arms on My 1979 chevy 1/2 ton pickup. I saw a replacement control arm that has the bushings and ball joints already installed. I'm trying to save the high labor cost that...

Since the new arm comes with the bushings, there is no reason to get the tool to install them. Upper arms are relatively easy to install...just a bolt out, bolt in operation as the springs aren't involved. Support the suspension under the lower control arm to take any tension off the upper arm.

Apr 27, 2010 | 1978 Chevrolet C1500

1 Answer

Full suspension replacement price quote

you can usually find all the parts your needing parts and labor for tie rods, ball joints, control arms springs shocks idler arms pitman arms parts and labor will probably run you close to 1500 dollars probably lower.

Aug 25, 2009 | 1997 Chevrolet Blazer

1 Answer

How to change upper and lowwer ball joints

the upper ball joints are less complicated , safely jack up trucks front end and support on the proper weight rated jack stands, place jack stands under lower control arm , remove wheel , locate the upper ball joint shaft and caslte nut, remove the cotter pin retainer and disgard for anew cotter pin on assembly., loosen the castle nut but not all the way just yet, some persons like to use a ball joint fork, so if your going back with new joints then by all means use a fork toll to separate the control arm from the ball joint shaft, a couple of solid hits should bust it loose, with the joint loose from its seat go ahead and remove the nut all the way... if yours ball joint is attached to control arm with bolts tehn remove mounting bolts ,R&R old with new joint and reinstall in reverse order of disassembly.

Lower ball joint is more difficult and also more dangerous because of coil spring has stored energy in it's compressed state, you will need a coil spring compression tool, to do this job, it's best on your first time to have supervision from a qualified experienced suspension and steering technician for this reason I will not explain this procedure not knowing your level of expertise...

Aug 07, 2009 | 1991 Ford F150

Not finding what you are looking for?
1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Logo

996 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Chevrolet Experts


Level 3 Expert

80407 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers

Ronny Bennett Sr.
Ronny Bennett Sr.

Level 3 Expert

6927 Answers

Are you a Chevrolet Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides