Question about 2008 Chevrolet Cobalt
The key will not go into the off position and the battery dies. What I need to know is how to change the switch?
The following is the removal of the switch
1. remove the steering column trim covers.
2. disconnect the ignition switch harness connector.
3. turn the switch to the run position
IMPORTANT THE IGNITION SWITCH MUST BE IN THE RUN POSITION DURING REMOVAL IN ORDER TO AVOID DAMAGE TO THE IGNITION SWITCH.
4. remove the switch screws
5. remove the ignition switch from the steering column
if the ignition switch is replaced and a learn procedure is not performed the engine will crank but not start or will start and stall immediately.
30 minute learn procedure
1. turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF
2. attempt to start the engine then release the key to ON. the vehicle will not start
3. observe the SECURITY telltale. after approx 10 min the telltale will turn OFF
4. turn OFF the ignition and wait 5 seconds
5 repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 min) the vehicle is now ready to relearn the PASSLOCK sensor data code and or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
IMPORTANT: THE VEHICLE LEARNS THE PASSLOCK SENSOR DATA CODE AND OR PASSWORD ON THE NEXT IGNITION SWITCH TRANSITION FROM OFF TO CRANK YOU MUST TURN THE IGNITION OFF BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO START THE VEHICLE.
6.start the vehicle the vehicle has now learned the passlock and or password
7. if you have a scan tool clear any codes if needed or disconnect the battery for 30 sec. the history DTC will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
hope this helps
Posted on Jul 13, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get to try the service completely Free afterwhich it costs $6 per call and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 21, 2014 | 2005 Dodge Caravan
Sep 14, 2014 | 2005 Chevrolet Equinox
Jun 12, 2013 | Cars & Trucks
Nov 06, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Apr 21, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 08, 2010 | 2002 Chevrolet Impala
May 05, 2010 | 1990 Ford F350
Oct 24, 2009 | 2005 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Oct 21, 2009 | 2005 Pontiac Grand Am
366 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: