Question about 2004 BMW 5 Series

1 Answer

Rear Upper Control Arm

I have a 2004 5.30i (with a 2003 build date, not sure if that matters?)

The dealer found a few things wrong when I had it in for a recall fix. I'd like to fix these myself because of the cost.

My number one priority is the upper rear control arm replacement.

I'm trying to figure out what this is and what I need to do.

The exact words of the dealer is the rubber part is causing extra movement in the suspension that doesn't need to be there. I'm thinking this means the bushing needs to be replaced.

Can anyone help with diagrams/pictures or advice on how to replace this control arm unit? or what special tools i might need?

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 20 times.

  • Expert
  • 135 Answers

Go to, click on the online catalogue. Select BMW then your year and model. Click on suspension and then control arm. When it shows you the part click on the letter "i" and it will show you a picture of the part. Also not a bad place to purchase parts, I use them all the time.

Posted on Jul 13, 2009

  • Kenneth Jolley Jul 13, 2009

    Go to, click on the online catalogue. Select BMW then your year and model. Click on suspension and then control arm. When it shows you the part click on the letter "i" and it will show you a picture of the part. Also not a bad place to purchase parts, I use them all the time.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Replacing an upper control arm on a 2003 mazda 6. I have a bad upper ball joint on my 2003 mazda 6 and I bought a control arm with the ball joint already seated. I need to know how to replace it or just...

Lift car up, take off wheel, and might as well take off fender. ( I did) take off nut holding knuckle in place but becareful control arm has powerful spring in it will pop up if not held down. Then remove the 2 bolts holding it in place, replace with new one and connect knuckle back and make sure its tight. Double check all is in the right position before going for a drive.

Sep 20, 2011 | 2003 Mazda Mazda6

1 Answer

Want to know the relationship between the rear trailing arm and the control arm. If you had the rear trailing arm fixed because of recall then 2 months later they say the control arm came loose and broke...

The recall for your vehicle may or may not have included replacement of the trailing arm. The recall says that the trailing arm is to be "inspected" then it will be replaced, or modified at the discresion of the person performing the inspection. If it was "replaced", it would require the control arms to be disconnected and reconnected. If it was only "modified" there would have been no disassembly of the control arms required. See the picture below. The picture shows the rear suspension parts. Notice that the upper control arm and the lower control arm bolt to the trailing arm. (which is what also houses the hub and bearing with the wheel speed sensor.) I hope this helps you to resolve your issue.


Mar 08, 2011 | 2003 Hyundai Santa Fe

1 Answer

2003 chev trailblazer creeks as you stop or hit bumps

A few things to check, I'm going through this as we type here, and have narrowed mine down to the front A-arm bracket, which is located on the bottom of the frame with bushings.

Check your swaybar links (if you replace, I like Moog brand,it's greaseable), swaybar bushings both front and rear for both. From there, check the a-arm bushings , and finally, the upper and lower control arms. The way to narrow it down further with bushings is squirt silicone lubricant on these bushings and see which one i creaking. Forgot one more common squeak, it's your hood latch, lube it up good and adjust the hood stops up a bit and use some rubber lube for the stops( Napa has this) . Had that squeak for 7years until last weekend, dealer couldn't even find it.

Oct 22, 2010 | 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer

1 Answer

Need lower control arm bushing for 03 eclipse

probably going to have to get the arm from the dealer

Jul 24, 2010 | 2003 Mitsubishi Eclipse Coupe

2 Answers

2005 dodge dakota/upper control arm bushings

Take them to a local machine shop. Most shops will press out the old ones and put the new ones in for a few bucks, especially if you have cash.

Jul 31, 2009 | 1995 Chevrolet Blazer

1 Answer

Loud bang when brakes are appllied moving forward.

I had the same problem after a wheel alignment. The control arm bolts were not properly torqued. These bolts will not back out if properly torqued. Your truck must be taken to an alignment shop for realignment.

Dec 01, 2008 | 1991 Toyota Pickup

1 Answer

1997 ford thunderbird LX . Rear Wheels - Upper control arm bushings.

I 'm a mechanic and have been Replaced the UPPER control Arm bushing on thunderbird.
And the Price for the Bushing is CHEAP..

You need only Replace the damaged parts, not all the ALL HARDWARE, They are wrong.

OK.. you can find on any Autoparts. for EXAMPLE Here is AUTOZONE.
with the Bushings that you need. just look..,14600794/shopping/partTypeResultSet.htm

I hope this help on your question..
Thank you for use fixya..

Sep 24, 2008 | 1997 Ford Thunderbird LX

4 Answers

Front upper ball joint replacement

The dealer's answer (if you are interested).......

The ball joint is pressed into the upper control arm and has a tapered stud for attachment to the steering knuckle. The ball joint stud is attached and locked into the steering knuckle using a special nut. The ball joint is a sealed-for-life type and requires no maintenance. If the ball joint is defective it will require replacement of the entire upper control arm.


Jun 19, 2008 | 2002 Chrysler Sebring

Not finding what you are looking for?
2004 BMW 5 Series Logo

333 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top BMW Experts

Frankie B

Level 2 Expert

65 Answers

Fred Sops

Level 2 Expert

272 Answers


Level 2 Expert

254 Answers

Are you a BMW Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides