- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
I am assuming you have checked the Fuse Box under the hood for the Horn Fuse and / or the Horn Relay and made sure both are good?
You can always try the steps outlined in this video to replace the horn pad. to see if this is your issue if you have exhausted all of your other resources.
Or You can try these steps to further diagnose your issues:
The horn relay on ZX2's is located underneath the dashboard on the
drivers side. There are several relays located there - identify the horn
relay by the "clicking" sound it makes when the horn is pressed. The
likelyhood that you have a bad relay is minimal. Start by checking the
horn fuse (the fuse box is located under the dash on the driver side).
Next, check the relay. If the relay is making a clicking noise, it is
probably OK. The next thing to check is the horn itself. it is located
on the passenger side of the vehicle, up underneath the front bumber.
Most instructions say to remove the bumber cover to get to the horn, but
this is not neccesary. In my experience with Escort horn problems, the
problem has been with the horn "switch", a wafer thin piece of plastic
that lies between the steering wheel cover and the airbag assembly.
Below are instructions for replacement of this switch - don't be
intimidted by the procedure - it is not difficult.
You cannot buy a horn switch at a dealer - they tell you that the horn
switch is part of the airbag assembly, which cost $450 plus.
Understandably, Ford doesn't want people "messing around" with airbags.
Go to a junk yard - you can eazily find and remove the horn switch from
an Escort who's airbags have already deployed. I bought two of them for
$5. Identify and remove the junkyard horn switch by reading step 7
below. This is an eazy fix if you follow these instructions. Should take
about 10 minutes. I replaced my "stuck" 97 Escort horn switch as
1) Disconnect negative battery cable, wait for at least 1/2 hour for
residual power discharge before proceeding to net step (IMPORTANT!).
This will disable the airbag. Neglecting this step could cause serious
injury or death!
2) Remove two 10mm bolts directly behind the steering wheel - one on left, one on right. These secure the airbag unit.
3) carefully lift the airbag unit out of the steering wheel.
4) remove two small star-screws at bottom of airbag unit using star end
screw driver - the horn wires enter the airbag unit next to these screws
5) pry the airbag cover (this is the front part of the steering wheel
cover with the horn picture on it) off of the plastic tabs of the airbag
unit, on the left & right sides - should come off very eazily.
6) now you can lift the airbag cover up (there are three rivets that continue to hold the top portion of the cover in place)
7) the horn switch, which is covered by a thin layer of dark foam, is a
very thin plastic pad with two wires coming out (same wires as step 4).
You can see wafer thin copper strips inside the plastic. The switch is
held in place by three small plastic tabs. Remove the switch and
disconnect the wires at the red connector inside the steering wheel.
8) replace horn switch with junkyard switch
9) re-assembly is the reverse of the removal.
This procedure should apply to 97 through 2002 Escorts, including the ZX2. Hope this helps someone save some money.
sounds like the immobiliser, like you did,nt connect the immobiliser block,a cable with 3 wires,look carefully you may not have noticed & plugged it in. all the leads connected to the battery may not be correct. car thinks it,s being stolen.with fords you need to use the original key(red dot on it)to activate security settings,good luck leave key out of ignition,that may work