Question about Cars & Trucks
Locate the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve and verify that there is good hot coolant flowing to the valve. The valve has a built-in thermo element to open the valve further when the engine is cold.
2. If the coolant lines are good and hot, locate the 3-cavity connector on the IAC valve. The Yellow/Black (Y/B) wire is the ground for the closed windings of the valve. Back probe the Y/B wire and with the car running ground the wire, the idle should slow way down and possibly stall the engine. If it does not slow way down, look for a sticking IAC valve.REMOVE IAC VALVE, CLEAN WITH CARB. CLEANER, ACTUATE VALVE WITH A POWER PROBE TO OPEN AND CLOSE VALVE. REINSTAL.
1. At the idle speed control valve, use a volt meter to measure the voltage on the open and close winding. The open winding should be approximately 3 volts cranking and 5 volts when the key is released. The voltage should slowly climb towards 7.5 volts. The close winding will start out at 11 volts and slowly drop towards 8.5 volts.
2. Monitor the coolant sensor voltage using a volt meter. Do not use the scanner only.
3. Check that the power steering pressure switch is not on.
4. Check that the throttle position sensor signal voltage is .49 volts at closed throttle.
5. Use the scanner to check any other inputs to the computer.
Posted on Mar 30, 2015
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Nov 15, 2014 | Cars & Trucks
Oct 27, 2012 | 1999 Toyota Camry
Jan 14, 2012 | 1994 Toyota Camry
Aug 03, 2011 | 1999 Toyota Camry
Jun 20, 2011 | 1999 Toyota Camry
May 23, 2011 | 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix
Aug 31, 2010 | 1999 Toyota Camry
Nov 08, 2009 | 1992 Toyota Camry V6
46 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!