P1740 code came on for a 2001 dodge ram 1500 what does it mean?
This is the OD Solenoid. There is a TSB out that covers the 2000-2001 Ram truck.
EFFECTIVE DATE: Oct. 02, 2000
46RE Transmission MIL Due To DTC P1740 – TCC or OD Solenoid Performance
This bulletin involves the replacement of the transmission pressure boost valve cover
2000 - 2001 (AB) Ram Van
2000 - 2001 (AN) Dakota
2000 - 2001 (BR/BE) Ram Truck
2000 - 2001 (DN) Durango
NOTE: THIS BULLETIN APPLIES TO VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH A 46RE
TRANSMISSION BUILT BEFORE AUGUST 01, 2000 (MDH 0801XX).
The customer may complain of a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon
further analysis, it is determined that the MIL is caused by Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC)
P1740 - Torque Converter Clutch (TCC) or Overdrive Solenoid Performance. Other than
the MIL, the customer may not notice any other condition with the transmission.
This condition may be caused by an intermittent and momentary TCC disengagement
condition. The transmission valve body pressure boost valve cover plate has been revised
with a larger size orifice hole to address this condition.
1. Warm the transmission to normal operating temperatures.
2. Using the DRB IIIò, perform a torque converter clutch (TCC) stall test. The stall test
has been revised so that the TCC remains engaged for a period of four (4) seconds.
NOTE: THE DRB III MUST BE OPERATING AT RELEASE LEVEL 50.4 MDS2
SYSTEM CIS CD2067 OR HIGHER (AVAILABLE THE WEEK OF OCTOBER 2,
2000) IN ORDER TO PERFORM THE REVISED TORQUE CONVERTER
CLUTCH STALL TEST. DO NOT USE EARLIER VERSION STALL TEST TO
DETERMINE CONDITION OF THE TORQUE CONVERTER CLUTCH.
3. If the engine stalls as a result of the TCC stall test, then perform the Repair
4. If the engine does not stall, as a result of the TCC stall test, then further diagnosis is
required. The technician may want to consider the following components during
their additional diagnosis: a cut or worn input shaft seals, a missing pump lock-up
circuit check ball, or worn converter hub, input shaft, reaction shaft, and pump rotor.
This bulletin is supplied as technical information only and is not an authorization for repair. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system, or
transmitted, in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without written permission of DaimlerChrysler Corporation.
1 04617015 Plate, Pressure Boost Valve Cover (46RE)
1 02464324AB Gasket, Trans Pan
10(AR) 05010124AA ATF+3, Transmission Oil Type 7176 (2000 M.Y.)
10(AR) 05013457AA ATF+4, Transmission Oil Type 9602 (2001 M.Y.)
1. Clean the pressure boost valve cover plate to remove any dirt or rust inhibitor prior to
installation. The revised cover plate will have a 1.75 mm (0.069 inch) orifice hole
versus a 1.22mm (0.048 inch) orifice hole in the original plate. Make sure it is clean.
2. Using the appropriate Service Manual, Group 21 – Transmissions and Transfer Case,
replace the transmission pressure boost valve cover plate p/n 04617012.
3. Verify fluid level after warming up the transmission and cycling the shift lever several
4. Verify, and if required, adjust the transmission shift linkage and the transmission
throttle valve cable per the appropriate Service Manual procedures.
Jun 10, 2010 |
2000 Dodge Ram 1500 Truck