My tahoe for some reason will not hold a charge. When i get a jump start, the volt meter on the dash goes up to about 15 then after about 10 min drops down to 14 and will stay there for around 20 min. then it drops just below the 14 mark. after i drive it for 30-45 min i shut it off and the battery is almost dead and doesent have enough charge to start the vehicle again. i have replaced the battery and had the alternator checked by autozone, and they said that when the truck is off there is a drain on the battery. according to the volt meter the battery stays at about 9.5 volts after the vehicle is shut off.
Sounds like you have a bare wire somewhere that is touching metal and grounding out. Probably a starter cable. Try unhooking the battery, check the voltage of the battery, then hook the cable back up, watching for sparks from the cable. After you get it hooked back up, check the voltage again. If you see a small spark, it is normal. If you see a big spark, you have a wire that is touching something it is not supposed to.
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
a few tests to see if alternator has gone are. start the car and the red light should go off on the dash. start the car and take a lead off the battery ( the car should still run ) and start the car in the dark.turn head lights on then hit the gas,the lights should go brighter as you rev...hope this helps
It may not be the starter. The battery could have a weak or dead cell in it and not holding a charge.
The alternator could be bad and charging the battery.
If you have a volt meter, or can get one, with the car running, put the leads from the meter to the battery terminals, red positive, black ground.
Put the meter switch to 12 volts. If the meter reads 14 to 15 volts, the alternator is ok, below that it isn't charging. If it does read 14 to 15 volts, replace the battery.
By the way, the starter is ok, or it wouldn't have started with a jump.
It's more a battery/alternator issue. Clean the battery terminals first and see if that makes a difference.
The alternator may not be charging the battery. Jump start it, and use a volt meter at the battery, red lead to positive and black to neg. The meter should read between 13 and almost 15 volts, any lower than 13 volts, the alternator is no good. (this is done with vehicle running).
Could be couple of things,
A bad battery not holding a charge, should be a little over 12 volts with engine off.
A bad alternator not charging, should put out between 14 to 15 volts with engine running.
If there is an advanced auto near you, take them there, they will check them for free.
2 things, 1. have the battery load tested and check the conns. ( pos. & neg. ) to make sure they are clean 2. your car might not be charging the battery, check the alt. or do you have a volt meter on your dash. if you have a hand held volt meter, check the voltage of the battery ( 12+ volts ), then start the car and check it then ( 14+ volts)
try fittung a larger capacity battery this will help when you are parked for extended periods of time, but it does sound as if you have something draining the battery, try getting the alternater checked
Hi. You would need to put a volt or amp meter between the positive terminal of the battery and the battery itself. You have a very large draw on the battery after everything is shut off. Watch the meter and start unpluging fuses to see if the meter goes down. Make sure your doors are shut and the ignition has been off for at least 30 minutes so the computer will go to sleep. If the meter doesn't go down after pulling all the fuses then start loooking for a short possibly in the seats if you have electric seats and other things like that. It may take a lot of looking around but something is causing a very big current draw on the batteries.