Battery dies after 2 days of non-use. Checked current drain and found 200 mA with everyting OFF. Pulled fuses until the abnormal drain stopped. Pulling the Dome Fuse killed the drain. WHat else is on that circuit besides the dome light and the radio/CD?? Can the radio misbehave to the extent of 200 mA drain?
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.
Re: Battery dies after 2 days of non-use. Checked
It would take about 350 hours to kill your battery at 200 ma leakage .. between the computer, radio and anything else that has "keep alive" conditions .. i would think 200ma is maybe on the high side of normal .. to kill the battery in 2 days would require a continuous drain of more than 1.5 amps .. that would be about what the trunk light or under hood light would draw .. make sure those are going off .... alternator diodes can have leakage thats very high .. of course if you are measuring the leakage current right at the battery connector then all leakage sources should be included in the reading .. if its only 200ma then you might have a bad battery (low on water or sulfated) .. Pb acid batteries are easily ruined by leaving them discharged for a while .. and the maintainence free types can only handle a few deep discharges .. .
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
check and see if there is a drain on the battery. take a multimeter (if you are skilled with cars) and set it to amps. Put it across the battery terminals and take a reading. i believe anything over 200 ma (milliamps) is too much draw. If you have more... pull fuses one by one until it drops and that is the circuit that is draining the battery. Go from there to find the culprit
It is not normal on any car.
A week is too long for a major current drain, so it has to be something small. A small courtesy light bulb in a storage compartment that is failing to turn off?
Have you added any audio accessories? (amps, DVD players, etc) Sometimes aftermarket accessories have nasty drains and have to be unplugged when the car will be parked for an extended period (months) but if one is draining your battery in a week, it is defective.
The last suspect is computers. This car has multiple computers on it that are supposed to go into sleep mode a few minutes after you shut off the car. Perhaps one of them is not going to sleep? That would not be as tough to diagnose as you might think. You put an ammeter in line with the battery and watch the current flow. It will be high at first, and then drop off after 5 minutes or so. If it is more than 50 mA or so, it is too much, so you start pulling fuses and disconnecting things until the current drain drops down below 50 mA.
On a 2010 X6, you are probably going to have to reprogram a lot of stuff after disconnecting the battery to diagnose this problem.
OK the battery in good charge should be at 12.5 volts ( as measured with a voltmeter across the terminals) When the engine is running you should expect the reading to be about 14 volts. Put the lights on ( a load on the battery) and the voltage can go as high as 14.5v.
Switch everything off (I mean everything..radio etc) and disconnect the negative terminal to the battery. Now put the meter in ammeter mode and measure the current between the negative terminal and the cable that is now disconnected. It should be really very low current (milliamps at most), switch on the lights to show ourself what that current drain looks like. If the residual current looks significant take out each fuse in turn and return it noting on pen and paper any drop in current when the fuse is out. This process will identify the circuit that is draining the battery. Check the wires and junctions in this circuit for shorts etc. If its lights try removing bulbs until the current drain stops If possible leave the fuse out over night on this circuit and see if this effects the battery's ability to charge and stay charged.
My car is Mercedes E200-1997, I have problem with the electricity. There is constantly consuption of electricity current ( even when I switch off the car, about 20mA. which lead to exhaust (drain) the battery and need charge it for some days!!!
I went to some services but they can not find the out of order!!!
Well, congrats on a great vehicle!
Suggest that you get a cheap volt meter at Harbor Freight (about 3 bucks) and then check the current draw at the battery (with everything off, pull the positive cable and place the voltmeter (set on DC Current/Amps) between the cable and the battery.
What current level does it show? More than about 200MA is a problem (you need to be sure that the internal door lights are off!!)
You can set the meter on the hood so that you can see it from inside the vehicle... Then, with everything off, and the voltmeter set as described above, pull a fuse and look at the meter. Repeat the "fuse pulling" exercise until the meter reads about 0 MA draw. That is the circuit that is causing the problem.... NOW you can troubleshoot a simple item or set of items.... until the problem is fixed.
To keep the battery charged overnite, keep the fuse pulled until the problem is fixed.
Use a 12volt test light between the positive battery post and the positive cable with the positive cable disconnected from the battery. Keep key off. You will see the test light "light" with any drain.
Any drain showing a dim test light is..... OK Any drain showing a bright light is.....BAD
Disconnect items (fuses) one at a time and watch the light. Keep the doors closed....the inside dome light is a drain with the door open! After fuses are checked....disconnect the alt if needed and watch the light. Keep going until you get rid of the bright light.
a few things... to test you need a multimeter.... unhook the positive side of the battery and hook the meter between the post and the connector.. measure current.... there should be a miniscule draw from your radio (memory) and that's about it. if there is more draw then there really should be... time to troubleshoot.... and that requires pulling fuses till you narrow down where the current drain is...
The wiper should not move regardless of battery change as the wiper switch should have isolated it.It seems to be the only ,as you say,strange thing and would be inclined to believe that that is the probable cause of your fault.Do like your testing method and hope you track the fault down.Good luck and happy new year.