so find out which vent is dead,?
before 5 gallon LYSOL flush an a week long GAG !
make sure first never to use RECRIC, when wanting to defog.
and is the A/C running in dash defrost mode (compressor main shaft spins)
if a vent is dead, its a bad damper valve, (not saying a part, a function)
the book is free, you can read it, HVAC. see venting and dampers.
its very simple in concept, a fan, a damper and dry air. hot.
the heater core makes heat the non recirc, damage gives you fresh air, the A/C makes that air dry. and the dampers the supply all vents work work.
so make sure the controls are set right,
then see if the upper vents all blow, with hand waved on them.
see? that is easy, and not reporting a dead vent ,makes help harder.
the FSM is on line, ill look for you.
but first HVAC 101
- does blower work on high?
- does the recirc turn to fresh are,and you get fresh air with blower off moving, at all top vents. y/n
- do you have full heat? 180F + engine heat (scan tool shows this as ECT)
- do all vents top work , blower on?
- is the A/C compressor working in A/c mode (cold) and Defrost?
- more... below.
Rule one, dont work in dash until air bags are DEFEATED (injury) (pull battery neg lug, and wait 1hour)
got fsm page open, ill state some facts needed to fix this.
first ill prove the dash system does not need total dismantle
for all jobs. Does NOT.
Air /mix blend door
Single Zone/Dual Zone Driver's Side(FSM)
- Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
- Remove the instrument panel silencer from the driver side of the instrument panel.
- Remove the three screws that secure the blend door actuator to the driver side of the HVAC air distribution housing .
- Remove the blend door actuator from the air distribution housing and disconnect the HVAC wire harness connector from the actuator.
- Remove the blend door actuator from the vehicle.
next page, is blend door 2, type.
has vacuum servos.
we move the controls and make sure all servo vacuum motors
this car has driver side and passenger side seperate blend doors.
so,,, we are getting close here>
if the defroster fails,(seems not) then that is electric motor drive
and very hard to test . (if not door jam)
in any case, we need to know what part is failing,
if the passenger blend is dead.
we then must find out why
1: just stuck.
2: servo actuator failure
3: controls to #2 above bad, or connections to each.
login to alldata.com see HVAC chapter, read how it works and the tests.