Question about Honda Element
I changed the ignition on my Honda element and the anti theft has me locked out and I cant start my car. How can I fix this
You can't, this is manufacturer installed antitheft so you can't just replace an ignition on a stolen vehicle. When you take it to Honda they will run the VIN and if it is not stolen they will fix it for you.
Posted on May 15, 2014
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
*** Please click the "Was this helpful" Yes thumbs up! ***
FREE and EASY methods to get your Honda radio UNLOCK CODE. (Dealerships usually charge)
Assuming you don't have the Anti-Theft Code and Serial Number that is found on the credit card sized Anti-Theft Radio Identification Card that comes with the vehicle at the time of purchase and is usually found in the glove compartment....
You have FREE options to retrieve that code by phone or on the internet BUT, the RADIO SERIAL NUMBER is REQUIRED (no matter what). (see bottom about removing ERROR E3)
***IF your Honda was made BEFORE 2001 the serial number MAY not be accessible without removing the radio from the vehicle.***
* TO GET THE SERIAL NUMBER (so that you can get the unlock code)
1. Get something to write with and on (you'll need it to write down the serial number)
2. Put the ingnition key in and turn it until your able to turn your radio on (accessories position).
3. Then turn your radio OFF by it's knob/button (but leave the ingition key in place).
4. Hold down the preset buttons 1 and 6 at the same time.
5. Turn the radio on while pressing down both the 1 and 6 buttons.(***IF your Honda doesn't have preset buttons on the radio then hold down the top part of the 'Seek/Skip' button AND the top part of the 'Change Disk' button instead.*** )
6. Write down the 4 numbers you see first and then 4 more that display. These eight numbers are the SERIAL NUMBER. This is NOT your CODE.
7. Make sure your VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) is handy to get the unlock code. (can be found on your insurance card, driver's side door jam, small plate on dashboard by registration and inspection stickers, etc)
* TO GET THE UNLOCK CODE (using the radio Serial Number and VIN)
1. Go to https://radio-navicode.honda.com/ (YES, it's run BY HONDA and IT'S FREE)
2. Follow on screen instructions (Serial Number and VIN required)
3. Type in the 5 digit code into your radio. This will unlock the radio and return it to a functional state.
1. Call American Honda Customer Relations (800) 999-1009
2. When the automated message starts 'Press 3' for 'Radio and Navigation Codes'.
3. Tell the Customer Service Agent you need your radio code. (They will ask for your name, your radio's serial number, VIN, etc)
4. When they give you your radio unlock code--WRITE IT DOWN and KEEP IT SAFE!
5. Type in the 5 digit code into your radio. This will unlock the radio and return it to a functional state.
* REMOVING ERROR E3
****If you entered too many wrong codes and got an ERROR E3 message displaying you'll need to do an additional step for even the correct unlock code to work.****
Disconnect your negative battery terminal (or pull the radio fuse out if that's easier for you) for 30 seconds then reconnect it and then the radio will say "CODE" again and you can put in your correct unlock code.
So what happened to begin with?
See also: http://automobiles.honda.com/information/frequently-asked-questions.aspx?Question=2
If the power from your battery to the Honda radio is interrupted the Anti-Theft feature kicks in, the radio is rendered inoperable and the screen reads 'CODE'. You must enter in the Anti-Theft Radio Unlock Code (usually 5 digits) to make it operational again. You know that much by now.
Posted on Sep 09, 2009
try turning the ignition on try to start then without shutting key off wait 10 mins then shut key off then back on but do not try starting leave on for ten mins then back off turn key back on to run but do not try starting it wait ten mins then if it reset it should crank over and start if not repeat all steps again
Posted on Sep 19, 2009
SOURCE: The car wont start, the
TRY REPROGRAM KEY .PUT KEY IN IGNITION SWITCH TURN IGNITION SWITCH ON POSITION 20 SECONDS DONT START ENGINE WAIT 20 SECONDS TURN OFF SWITCH THEN TURN SWITCH BACK ON 20 SECONDS WATCH THE THEFT SECURITY LIGHT BLINKING.WHEN THEFT STOP BLINKING VECHICLE WILL CRANK.IF LIGHT STILL BLINKING.TRY FEW MORE TIMES KEY IN SWITCH ON POSITION FOR 20 SECONDS.MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT CAR KEYS IN SWITCH IF NOT WRONG SET OF CAR KEYS WILL SET OFF THEFT SECURITY SYSTEM.IF KEY RESETTING TRICK DONT WORK.CHECK BATTERY POWER MAKE SURE YOUR BATTERY HAS 12.5 VOLTS AND CHECK SECURITY THEFT FUSE.IF ALL LOOKS GOOD YOUR SECURITY HAS TO BE CHECKED OUT AT THE DEALERSHIP.
Posted on Oct 08, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 10, 2016 | Honda Cars & Trucks
Aug 28, 2014 | Honda Cars & Trucks
May 01, 2014 | 1998 Honda Accord
Mar 31, 2013 | 1999 Honda Accord
Jan 09, 2013 | 2000 Honda Accord
Dec 08, 2010 | 1999 Honda Accord
Apr 24, 2010 | 1992 Honda Accord
Mar 05, 2010 | 2004 Honda Civic
Aug 17, 2009 | 1997 Honda Prelude
Jun 02, 2009 | 1997 Honda Accord
215 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: