Why replacing? Codes/ Check Engine Light on?
Printable View (263 KB)
Publication Date: May 25, 2006
- 2001-2005 ESCAPE 3.0L UNSTABLE IDLE - 2001-2003 ESCAPE 3.0L AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SHUDDER - MEXICO ONLY
Some 2001-2005 Escape vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine may exhibit idle speeds outside the specified range. Some 2001-2003 Escape vehicles equipped with a 3.0L engine and CD4E automatic transaxle may exhibit a transmission shudder.
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.
- If the concern is a 2001-2005 Escape with idle speeds outside the specified range:
- Install a new idle air control (IAC) valve with jumper harness included in the kit. The new Denso brand IAC will be installed with the electrical connector facing the opposite direction of the original (Hitachi) valve which is why the jumper harness is required. The original (Hitachi) IAC connector faces the front of the vehicle while the new Denso IAC connector faces toward the rear of the vehicle.
- Referring to the calibration charts (Figures 1 and 2), select the applicable file and reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) using the TSB Service Procedure and WDS/IDS release B40.5 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
- If the concern is a 2001 - 2003 Escape with transaxle shudder, drain, flush and refill the transmission fluid with MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid. Then, referring to the calibration charts (Figures 1 and 2), select the applicable file and reprogram the PCM using the TSB Service Procedure and WDS/IDS release B40.5 and higher. Calibration files may also be obtained at www.motorcraft.com.
- When reprogramming the PCM use blank path programming. Select the proper file from the chart and manually enter the PCM part number or tear tag number to obtain the updated calibration file.
To Perform Blank Path Programming:
- Connect WDS/IDS to vehicle.
- Select "16 pin", select "All others, except those below", press TICK.
- Screen shows installation of cable, press TICK.
- Screen shows to turn ignition ON. DO NOT TURN IGNITION ON. Press TICK.
- Screen shows progress bar, then screen tells you "No communication can be established with the PCM" and asks you if you want to retry? Select "NO". With the ignition key still OFF, press TICK.
- Screen shows to turn ignition ON. Keep ignition in the "OFF" position, press TICK and you will be asked to cycle the key "ON" and "OFF" a few times. Please keep the key position in the "OFF" position through the key cycles.
- Screen will show "The diagnostic tester is unable to communicate with this vehicle." You will be prompted to "select a vehicle from the vehicle list", press TICK.
- A list of vehicles will be displayed, select ALL OTHERS, and press TICK.
- Screen shows "To enable WDS to reprogram the PCM with the correct calibration", enter one of the following: Vehicle Calibration number (7 digits), Tear Tag number (4 digits), or PCM part number, press TICK.
- Highlight the box next to the selection chosen, and enter ONLY ONE of the selections listed above. Press TICK.
- Follow and answer correctly all remaining screens. Once PCM is reprogrammed communication should be reestablished and PATS system can be reset (if necessary) per Workshop Manual, Section 419-01.
Idle Air Control Valve
MERCON® Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage
BASIC PART NO.
42Figure 1 - Article 06-11-7