Hello, follow this steps to replace the water pump:
1. Disconnect the negative battery cable,using a screwdriver to unscrew the clamp that secures the cable to the negative (-) post. Pull the cable away from the battery post.
2. Use a jack to elevate the Ford Taurus and use jack stands to shore up the jack. Alternately, you can use tire ramps.
3. Discharge the pressure in the radiator by unscrewing the cap. Remove the drain plug located underneath the radiator. Catch the coolant in a resealable container. Clean up any spills.
4. Disconnect or remove the parts in front of the water pump, using an adjustable wrench. In order, this includes the right inner splash shield, lower heater hose, upper and lower tube bolts from radiator, air cleaner assembly, battery and battery tray, water pump belt, upper radiator hose, engine vent hose, trans axle 10-pin connector, radiator bypass hose and thermostat housing.
5. Remove the water pump mounting nuts and connector hose. Unbolt the water pump from the mount. Clean off the mounting area with a shop rag.
INSTALLING THE NEW WATER PUMP:
1. Inspect the new water pump to ensure it's identical to the old pump and free of any metal splinters or debris.
2. Arrange the new gasket onto the water pump. Place a bead of high temperature automotive sealant around the area where you removed the old pump and hold the gasket in place on the new water pump as you mount the entire assembly on top of the sealant.
3. Place the new nuts into the holes in the Ford Taurus' water pump in any order for the S-type engine and in a cross configuration on the U-type engine. Using a torque wrench while the sealant is still wet to obtain a better hold, tighten to 15 foot pounds of torque.
4. Reassemble the other engine parts in the order they came off the Ford using an adjustable wrench. Replace worn parts with new ones, as needed.
5. Replace the drain plug and refill the radiator with the amount and type of coolant specified in your owner's manual. Remove the jack stands and release the jack or drive the ford off the tire ramps.
6. Attach the negative battery cable to the post and tighten the screw on the clamp. Start the engine and check for leaks. Then, close the hood