Question about 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT
1) Take off the tweeter (triangular thing). It is simply clipped on and will come off relatively easily. Pinch inward and pull out.
2) Then proceed to roll down the window ALL THE WAY. This will prevent you from scratching or shattering the window if a tool slips. Next, pop off the window and lock control panel (with a flat-head screw driver) off the door panel (it is simply clipped in with 2 metal tabs on each side to hold it in) to reveal the inside of the door and ONE LARGE SCREW.
3) Start to take off the door panel screws. From what I remember, these are the screws and their locations: (in order) a) Small screw holding in door handle cover. (this removes the protective door handle thing)(the protective thing needs to be removed: simply pull on the handle while slipping the cover out.) b) Large screw under the handle of the door. (this will loosen the whole panel) c) Large screw UNDER the reflector plate on the door. You will have to take off the reflector in order to gain access to this screw. CAUTION: the reflector is VERY fragile and can crack easily. (this will loosen the whole panel) d) Large screw right behind the window controls. (this will disconnect the whole panel from the door itself.
DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE THE PANEL WITHOUT REMOVING ALL THE SCREWS AND THE PROTECTIVE PLATE!!!
4) Electronic Obstacles...yea...kinda hard to explain: Well, first off, the panel will not be able to come off without disconnecting the door control panel. Since you already popped off the window controls, all you need to do is disconnect the adapter that the wires plug into. On the passenger side, this is easy, simply pinch in on the two connectors and pull out. These "ribbons" may need a bit of convincing, but they DO come off. The driver's side electronics are EXTREMELY complex and are EXTREMELY hard to take off, to tell you the truth, I only rotated the disconnected door 90 degrees which left just enough room to solder and install the speakers. I did this so that I didn't need to disconnect ANY parts of the door controls on the driver's side. I only needed to pop off the window control panel, no disconnection of any wires. (the driver's side wires seem to have more slack than the passenger ones. I found this easy with two people.
5) Now for the hardest part, taking off the door panel itself. The whole panel is held on by white PLASTIC bolts that are ribbed. These bolts can be pretty annoying, but secure the door quite well. First, I started by the tweeter. There should be a small space where you can fit a hand in and start pulling. DO NOT PULL OR TRY TO PULL ALONG THE TOP OF THE DOOR, START YOUR HAND ON THE TOP BY THE TWEETER AND WORK YOUR WAY DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE TWEETER SIDE (while hand still between the panel and the door itself). THEN START PULLING ONCE YOU ARE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE DOOR PANEL. As you work your hand down the door, you might here a sound of breaking plastic, this is what you are looking for. The ribbed bolts are being pulled out of their holes. Eventually, once a majorority of a side is out, it will make it MUCH MUCH easier to pull the remaining bolts out. Once you get the hang of hearing the bolts come out, and you are able to get a bigger grip on the panel, the whole door will eventually POP off. Now that it is popped, lift the panel up and it then should come off cleanly.
Posted on Jun 19, 2009
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 03, 2014 | Buick Park Avenue Cars & Trucks
May 07, 2013 | 1991 Ford Thunderbird
Dec 16, 2012 | 2003 Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DOOR PANEL REMOVAL
Its just fitted with few screws and hidden lock clips. The clips are very delicate and can break easily. But no worry, the clips are easily available.
some vehicle models these screws are hidden. Once the panel is
loose, don't just pull it out, there are few wire connectors connected,
first disconnect the connector plug, then lift the panel out and keep in safe
place for re-installing.
your help, there are few very helpful similar help links with diagrams and
solutions to make your task easy. Click the link below:----
How to Remove Door Panels on Acura Integra
How to Access car door panel?
Vehicle door panel components?
How to remove the door panel to install a new window regulator on Cadillac Deville?
Hummer H2 Door Panel Removal? http://technoanswers.blogspot.in/2012/07/hummer-h2-door-panel-removal.html
Hummer H2: How to remove Front Door panel? http://www.howtobyme.blogspot.com/2012/07/hummer-h2-how-to-remove-front-door.html
2009 Hummer H2 Door Panel Removal
to remove window motor on driver side door panel on 1994 Oldsmobile Cutlass
to remove door panel, door window motor and regulator on 1991 cavalier?
how to remove rear window inner panel on Hyundai Elantra?
ford explorer window motor, regulator and door panel removal?
These details will help.
Nov 23, 2012 | 2002 Cadillac Deville
Nov 19, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
May 31, 2010 | Lincoln Town Car Cars & Trucks
Mar 12, 2010 | 2004 Lincoln Town Car
Mar 29, 2009 | 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Oct 13, 2008 | 1999 Oldsmobile Cutlass
218 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: