An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert that got 10 achievements.
An expert that got 5 achievements.
An expert who has answered 1,000 questions.
Re: battery hisses when charging battery
Is this battery the type that has the removable tops? If so, check the water level in each cell. Use distilled water to fill the cells to appropriate levels. Be careful of over-flow. Battery acid is very corrosive. Other considerations; battery is being over-charged, battery is worn and will not hold a charge. Auto Zone and Advance Auto will check/test a battery for you.
The negative wires go to ground. Has there been add-ons to the electrical system? Clean the Pos and Neg terminals and cables.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
Almost all car batteries have 2 pos and 2 neg. More precisely, 1 pos post and 1 side connector, 1 neg post and 1 neg side connector. You only usually use use one set or the other depending on what connectors are on the end of your cables. You can connect something else to the side posts if you need to, but generally only pair is used.
If all you are doing is changing to a side post battery, just connect all the positive cables from the old pos post to the new pos holder and all the neg ones to the new neg holder. If you've already cut them all off and not sure where each wire goes, all the reds are positive, all the blacks are neg. To make sure use your continuity meter to test. Connect one meter lead to any good clean metal part on the car and test between each black wire in turn, the neg ones will show a circuit, the pos ones will not.
If the battery explodes on you, you won't be a happy camper. If this is on an automobile, there's seldom over two wires on the negative side; one goes to the frame or motor. Another might go to the starter for a better connection since there's a lot of current needed to crank the engine.
At R/H side of boot/trunk disconnect car battery neg terminal. Leave for up to 5 mins and reconnect. Its just like re-booting a computer, and will clear this 'fault'. Make sure you have Radio's 4 digit code and re-enter. If the fault was the result of a flat battery always re-charge battery with cars neg terminal disconnected, never re-charge with battery connected to cars elect system.
My suggestion ask that mechanic to do it for you on the side maybe and see how much he would charge if you don't know anything much about going under the hood that would be best, if not here goes. First find the horn make sure you can get to it there should be a connector or plug on it should being the key word. Find it and remove it, you will need a wire long enough to run from the horn around and through some place in the firewall next to the wall between the engine and inside and back out to the battery so make sure its long enough to do that as well make sure the wire is 2 different colors inside sometimes they come copper on one side and silver color on the other or you can find black and red coated wires an 18 gauge speaker wire should work 15 to 20 ft should be plenty tape the ends of the wires with 8 inches excess hanging to the battery one end and the other to the horn not connected just so it holds the wire while you run it to inside the car string the wire around under the hood so its not all over the engine but around it and not on anything that gets hot to melt it. Make sure you know when you run it inside which side of the bend (you will have to bend it to get it inside the cab) make sure you know which side was going to the battery and which to the horn when you have the wire inside the car cut the wire on the copper side or the red side but dont cut the black shave back the plastic on the cut wire so you can get to the bare wire on the toggle switch any kind with 2 connectors on it is ok or you can also get a push button kind so it works like the horn find the positive connector on it and negative connector, connect the side of the red/copper wire that is going to the battery to the positive side if it has no positive or neg it doesn't matter either side then. Now connect the other side of the spliced wire to the negative or other side of the switch. once this is done under the hood look for positive and negative on the horn strip wire ends so you can get to bare wire connect the red/copper to the pos. and black/silver to the neg. You can use connectors for this or you can twist the wires around the connectors like a twist tie and tape with black electrical tape not clear tape. then on the battery put the red to pos. and black to neg. I would splice off enough plastic coating to wrap wire around battery terminal connector not the post make sure you connect the pos. last and don't touch the neg wire to anything else. then test the horn if it is working unhook the pos. side of the wire on the battery until you get ready for inspection and when done remove this so you don't have battery drain or other problems. Good luck
You may have gotten the +pos and -neg cables crossed, causing the fusable link wire to burn out.
Check for the burned link wire between the alternator and the battery side of the starter solenoid on
top of the right fender well, and splice in a new fusable link wire, any parts store should have this.
The fusable link is there to protect the charging system from damage when things like this happen.
But once it's running be sure to check the charging system. Hope this helps.
it sounds like you have a draw on the system. in otherwords something electrical is staying on. take a test light, disconnect the battery cable loose on the neg side. hook the test light between the neg cable and the neg post on the battery.. if the light is bright start pulling fuses out until the light goes out or gets dimmer, because you have to allow for clock etc..once the light goes out find out what that fuse power ups. see if any thing on that circuit is staying on.
you have many grounded devices in your engine. the main ones are probably the battery ground and the alternator ground. Look at your battery, there is a Positive side (Red/Power) and there is a Negative side(Black/Ground). There is a short wire that runs from the Neg side to the wall of your engine area, it has a ring connected to a bolt. thats the ground wire. there is a similar wire on the neg side of your alternator which should be easy to find if you know what to look for.