This model uses a fob & push button start,,,not a key in dash/column....It started only coming out after 2-4 pushes...last night it took 2 dozen and I kept hearing a groan under car like an electric release motor...it finally came out...but now I have to either fix it myself or take to a dealer for probably a large sum of $$$...if it stickes, is there a release button/pin hole to use to get it to pop out??
Thanks for the response.
An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points
An expert who has finished #1 on the weekly Top 10 Fixya Experts Leaderboard.
An expert that got 20 achievements.
An expert that got 10 achievements.
Re: 2010 S80 Key Fob Sticks in Dash...
Once you have the 'key' out of the dashboard, check the cut outs where the holder keeps the 'key' in are clean and free from fluff etc. There may be something in the holder also that is stopping the free movement of the grab arms. Use a tin of compressed air to blow it clear, (computer keyboard air, you know the can type).
A 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
The service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones). click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. Good luck!
the alarm is not operating because the door isnt locking ,to locate the fault you will need to remove the door panel anbd have a look ,it may just need a good squirt of engine oil in a proper oil can ,no spray as it dries out too quick
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
This model year comes equipped with Keyless Enter-N-Go, which uses an electronic transmitter in the key fob to communicate with the car. The vehicle's doors will not unlock and the vehicle will not start if the key fob is not matched to the vehicle or if the commonly-available watch battery in the key fob has been depleted. The EVIC will flash a message upon vehicle startup if it determines that the battery in your key fob is low on charge and should be replaced.
To open the doors, try the following:
1. Use the spare key fob that came with the vehicle. If the battery in your main key fob is depleted, the spare key fob's battery may still retain charge due to its much more occasional use.
2. The key fob comes with an emergency key inside of it. To remove the emergency key, slide the mechanical latch on the back of the key fob sideways with your thumb and then pull the key out with your other hand. This key will allow you to unlock the driver's side door and glove compartment. It will not start the vehicle.
To start the car with a severely-depleted key fob battery, try the following:
1. In case the ignition switch does not change with the push of a button, the RKE transmitter (Key Fob) may have a low or dead battery. In this situation a back-up method can be used to operate the ignition switch. Put the nose side (side opposite of the emergency key) of the Key Fob against the ENGINE START/STOP button and push to operate the ignition switch.
To replace the battery in your key fob, try the following:
1. Remove the emergency key from the key fob following the directions above.
2. Using a vinyl spudger tool or a flat-bladed screwdriver, gently pry the two halves of the key fob apart at the indented slot above the slot for the emergency key.
3. Replace the depleted battery with a new battery. Use the depleted battery to visually match the size. The battery is usually available wherever watch or hearing-aid batteries are sold.
4. Snap the key fob back together and replace the emergency key. If the issue is a depleted battery, your key fob should operate normally.
If the issue is not related to the state of the battery, you will probably need to contact your local dealer for service.
Does the red light on the remote light up when you push any of the button if no, replace remote if yes, then try repograming the remote to the car again. -Have remotes' ready. if you have two then fob#1 and fob#2 (doesn't matter which one is #1 or #2) -each step has to be done within 5 sec or it will not work, but don't do it super fast. 1.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting) and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release 2.turn key off 3.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting)and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release 4.turn key off 5.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting)and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release 6turn key off 7.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting) and push "lock button " on fob#1 twice (if you only have one fob, then stop here and go to step 8)and push the "lock button" on fob#2 twice. 8.turn key off and remove key from ignition. if you did it right, remotes' should work again. good luck
First thing, does the red light on the remote light up when you push any of the button
if no, then replace battery inside remote
if yes, then try repograming the remote to the car again.
-Have both remote ready. fob#1 and fob#2 (doesn't matter which one is #1 or #2)
-each step has to be done within 5 sec or it will not work, but don't do it super fast.
1.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting) and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release
2.turn key off
3.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting)and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release
4.turn key off
5.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting)and push "lock button " on fob#1 once and release
6turn key off
7.turn key just to the "on" position (not starting) and push "lock button " on fob#1 twice (if you only have one fob, then stop here and go to step 7)and push the "lock button" on fob#2 twice.
8.turn key off and remove key from ignition.
if you did it right, remotes should work again.
First , check the LED on your car battery, if it is blank you made need to remove and test the actual battery. If there is ANY chance that sparks flew when attempting to boost the car open the fuse box and check the fuses including the large ones. Third, try a different key, including your flat wallet key in case your key has also failed due to a weak internal battery and will not communicate with the engine immobilizer. To use your 'wallet key" hold the black card against the dash beside the key slot while turning the key in its slot. This key has an embedded security chip in it as well to allow the engine to start. If your RX is a 2010, hold the wallet key or your black key fob to the dash beside the ignition button and wait for the LED on dash to turn green. Then push the button.
You should not have to reset the key fob after a battery replacement. The signal from the key fob stays the same and is programed to the reciever.
If the key fob needs to be reprogrammed then follow these steps.
1. Have all key fobs with you during programming.
2. Sit in the vehicle with all doors closed.
3. Lock all doors using the Lock/Unlock switch on the door.
4. Insert and withdraw the ignition key 7 to 9 times within 10 seconds (do not turn the key, just insert and withdraw).
5. The 4 way flasher indicator on the dash should flash once or twice.
6. Insert the ignition key and turn it on (key on, engine off).
7. Press any button on one remote and the 4 way flasher indicator on the dash should flash once.
8. If you have more key fobs to program use the Lock/Unlock button on the door to unlock the doors and then lock the doors.
9. Press any button on the next key fob and the 4 way flasher indicator on the dash should flash once.
10. Repeat if you have more key fobs. Only 5 can be programmed.
11. To exit, simply turn of the igniton and remove the ignition key.
12. Unlock the doors using the Lock/Unlock switch on the door and exit the vehicle.
13. Make sure the window is down when testing remotes in case you leave the keys inside.
14. Close all doors and test all remotes that were programmed.
Do not skip any steps or the process will not work.
If the 4 way flasher indicator does not work when inserting the key, you will need to start the process from the begining. If it still does not work the receiver may be your problem.
If the 4 way flasher indicator does not flash when pressing any button on the key fob then the key fob is the problem (dead battery or defective remote)
Take your fob and hold it directly against the dash beside the start button for about ten seconds. Watch to see if the green light comes on. Then try the button. If it fails try your spare key same way. You likely have a low battery in the fob.
Here is a quick HowTo on programming your own keyless entry:
1) Turn ignition to OFF. 2) Locate the Data Link Connector, its a black 16 pin connecter that is under the driver's side dash, right where your right knee would be. You have to look up into the dash from below to see it. 3) Ground pin 1 of the Data Link Connector by taking a wire or paper clip and running it from pin 1 to pin 4. Pin 4 is ground so you can just short pin 1 to 4 and it will be grounded. Grounding pin 1 tells the system you are ready to reprogram it. 4) Close all of your doors. 5) Turn the key to ACC then back off. The power door locks will lock/unlock. This is the signal that the system is ready for reprogramming. 6) Push a button on your key fob, doesn't matter which button. 7) If you have 2 key fobs, then press a button on the 2nd fob within 1 minute of pressing a button on the 1st fob. Both must be programmed at the same time. If you only have 1 fob then press a button 2 more times to signal that you only have one. 8) The doors will lock/unlock to signal the codes were received. 9) Remove the jumper wire from the data connector.10) your done