Question about 1998 GMC Jimmy
Shift to park at trans everything works
IF IT IS REALLY GOING INTO PARK BUT INDICATOR SAYS IT IS NOT THEN THERE IS A PROBLEM WITH THE LINKAGE TO THE INDICATOR
Posted on Dec 08, 2014
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
New users get 2 Free calls (no credit card required) and instant help on almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, appliances, handyman, and even pets).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: gearshifter wont shift into park
If I could get just a little more info here I can see what I can help with I need the make and model along with the year please.
In the mean time, Check to see if stop lights are working Shift interlock and stoplight circuit are common issues. Check fuses, Check alignment of interlock switch at top of brake pedal Try turning key to 1st position (unlock) shift to neutral to start and then shift into park, lets see if that helps. Other wise you could have a linkage issue, as well as ignition switch.
Posted on Mar 27, 2011
Tips for a great answer:
Feb 19, 2015 | 2007 Jeep Wrangler 2.4
Oct 30, 2017 | Chevrolet Cobalt Cars & Trucks
Aug 14, 2013 | 1998 Chevrolet C1500
Nov 16, 2012 | Chevrolet Cavalier Cars & Trucks
Jun 17, 2012 | Chevrolet Cars & Trucks
May 13, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Feb 08, 2012 | Cars & Trucks
Welcome to FixYa.com
1. Remove air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
2. Remove center dash trim panel.
3. Remove center console cup holder assembly.
4. Remove floor console assembly.
5. Remove console side panels.
6. Remove Transmission Control Module ftMJ bracket.
1. Remove TCM.
8. Remove shifter cable from transaxle operating lever by removing nut and clip.
9. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever assembly by removing clip.
10. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever mechanism.
11. Remove cable from firewall grommet by removing grommet assembly nuts.
12. Remove gearshift cable from vehicle.
Lift and rotate the gearshift hand lever into the park (F9 gate position and remove the ignition
key. This confirms the shift lever is in the gated park (F9 position.
After confirming the park gate position. turn the ignition switch . If the starter will operate. the
park gate position is correct. Move the shift lever into the neutral (NJ position. If the starter
will operate in this position, the linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in
either position, linkage adjustment is required.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in park (F9 gate position and remove key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle operating lever.
4. Pull the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park lock. Reset the park
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 Nm (10 inch Ibs.J. Gearshift cable should now be
1. Check adjustment by usinq the precedinq procedure.
Thank you for Using FixYa.com
Kind Regards, Lee
Your Master Technician FixYa Expert
Jan 31, 2011 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring
Oct 21, 2009 | 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Jul 30, 2009 | 2000 Chrysler Concorde
35 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!