89 has the old stand alone spark distributor.
the ECU is spark free, (no player here)
so here is the list for this engine 1.3 or 1.6L
the 1.3 has a carb. (last one) and is NOT EFI ,
you never said which engine it has. so ill guess at the 1.6L
This engine will have hard starting for the fooling reasons.
we dont guess at it we just do the tests.
- Bad fuel.
- Never tunedup this decade or every 60,000 miles per opr. guide.
- low engine compression 150 good, if all are very low the cam timing belt slipped., (they all do , ignored) and is 60k service point.
- CEL dead key on, bad ECU or lamp bad.
- CEL glowing running, its telling you what is wrong, get the flash codes (DTC's)
- Too high fuel pressure. (bad regulator in front of TB)
- ECT bad. the 2 pin engine coolant temp sensor is bad. test it.
- The injector leaks in the throttle body (look with eyes)
- You find that adding 5-10% throttle cranking makes it more easy that is a bad, IAC valve, the valve at the base of the throttle body is stuck closed and kills all cold start air supply. making cold starts very hard, unless tricked with right foot. yes?
- when any gas engine fails to start cold, i check for too much or too little starting fuel. and for very good spark.
- Good engine, good spark the good fueling, there are tests for each, ASK?