1996 VW Jetta has an engine code of P1586 Engine
P0422 - Catalyst below threshold.
Catalytic converter is clogged or out of medium.
Fault Code Definition
Code P0422 indicates that the Bank 1 Main Catalytic Converter's
emissions efficiency has fallen below the minimum allowable limit. This
threshold is tracked by a Catalyst Monitoring Oxygen Sensor located on
or near the outlet of the Catalytic Converter.
* Check Engine Light will illuminate
* In many cases, no abnormal symptoms may be noticed
Common Problems That Trigger the P0422 Code
* Defective Catalytic Converter
* Engine misfires have damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Internal engine damage resulting in high oil consumption and/or a leaking Head gasket has damaged the Catalytic Converter
* Oxygen Sensors are replaced when the real problem is a damaged Catalyst
* Catalyst is replaced when the real problem is internal engine damage, which is producing elevated emissions levels
* Catalyst is replaced when a misfiring engine is the real problem
Thanks for using FixYa - a 4 THUMBS rating is appreciated for answering your FREE question.#$%^&
Jul 30, 2009 |
1996 Volkswagen Passat