You say the instrument cluster is out ? You need to have a professional scan tool hooked up ,to see if all modules are communicating ! A code reader isn't going to be any help . If a module isn't communicating could an will bring down the Serial data bus ! Do you know what that is ? An if you replace the instrument cluster ,it has to go to the dealer for programming . An A bcc ,? your vehicle has a Vehicle Security Module ! No GEM , No smart junction box >
Prior to removal of the vehicle security module, it is necessary to upload module configuration information to a diagnostic tool. This information needs to be downloaded into the new module once installed. For additional information, refer to Section 418-01 .
The vehicle security module controls the remote keyless entry system and the computer-operated lock system. For additional information, refer to Section 501-14 .
Module Communications Network Components
Principles of Operation
- powertrain control module (PCM)
- restraint control module (RCM)
- instrument cluster
- driver seat module (DSM)
- climate controlled seat module
- parking aid module
- central junction box (CJB)
- vehicle security module
- air suspension control module
- 4-wheel anti-lock brake/traction control (ABS/TC) module or stability assist module
- electronic automatic temperature control (EATC) module
- four-wheel drive (4WD) control module
- power liftgate module
- tire pressure monitoring system module
The vehicle has three module communication networks:
- the standard corporate protocol (SCP) communications network
- the international standards organization (ISO) 9141 communications network
- the UART based protocol (UBP) communications network
The diagnostic tool connects to all three networks through the data link connector (DLC). This makes diagnosis and testing of these systems easier by allowing one smart tester to be able to diagnose and control any module on the three networks from one connector. The DLC can be found under the instrument panel between the steering column and the radio.
The driver and passenger climate controlled seat modules are on the UBP network. The climate controlled seat modules control the temperature of the driver and passenger seats. For additional information, refer to Section 501-10 .
The vehicle security module is on the UBP communication network. The vehicle security module controls a variety of systems:
- windshield wipers
- courtesy lamps
- warning chimes
- interior lamps
- exterior lamps
- power windows
- perimeter security
- RKE/keyless entry
- lock functions
- monitors the entry doors and radio
Sorry but you would only waste your money buying a code reader ! Your best bet would be to take your vehicle to a qualified repair shop Or the ford dealer .