Question about 1997 Buick Riviera
Is the trans park interlock cable adjustable?
I am assuming you have a floor/console shift and not a column shift. Most often this is caused by spilled coffee or soda pop in the console. Wash the end of the shift interlock cable with warm soapy water (warmer the better).
Posted on Apr 15, 2014
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: shift lever locked
Brake switch going bad or shift lock solenoid going bad. The brake switch controls the shift lock solenoid. When you press the brakes it releases the shift lock solenoid to allow movement of the shifter.
this is not on your car but it will give you an idea how the system works.
Posted on Feb 19, 2009
SOURCE: My shift lever is stuck
if the shifter is on the floor there is a little piece of plastic covering a small hole to disengage the emergency shift lock solenoid.Take a small object like a paper clip and press down in that hole and this should unlock it for now.THe main cause of this is a faulty shift interlock control solenoid.good luck and i hope this helps
Posted on Oct 08, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 16, 2017 | 1999 Chrysler 300M
Apr 24, 2015 | 2005 Ford Escape
Jan 30, 2012 | 2000 Ford Explorer
Nov 25, 2011 | 1998 Ford Taurus
Jul 30, 2011 | 2005 Chrysler Pacifica
Welcome to FixYa.com
1. Remove air cleaner and air intake hose assembly.
2. Remove center dash trim panel.
3. Remove center console cup holder assembly.
4. Remove floor console assembly.
5. Remove console side panels.
6. Remove Transmission Control Module ftMJ bracket.
1. Remove TCM.
8. Remove shifter cable from transaxle operating lever by removing nut and clip.
9. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever assembly by removing clip.
10. Remove shifter cable from shifter lever mechanism.
11. Remove cable from firewall grommet by removing grommet assembly nuts.
12. Remove gearshift cable from vehicle.
Lift and rotate the gearshift hand lever into the park (F9 gate position and remove the ignition
key. This confirms the shift lever is in the gated park (F9 position.
After confirming the park gate position. turn the ignition switch . If the starter will operate. the
park gate position is correct. Move the shift lever into the neutral (NJ position. If the starter
will operate in this position, the linkage is properly adjusted. If the starter fails to operate in
either position, linkage adjustment is required.
1. Park the vehicle on level ground and set the parking brake.
2. Place the gearshift lever in park (F9 gate position and remove key.
3. Loosen the cable adjustment screw at the transaxle operating lever.
4. Pull the transaxle operating lever fully forward to the park detent position.
5. Release the park brake, then rock the vehicle to assure it is in park lock. Reset the park
6. Tighten the cable adjustment screw to 8 Nm (10 inch Ibs.J. Gearshift cable should now be
1. Check adjustment by usinq the precedinq procedure.
Thank you for Using FixYa.com
Kind Regards, Lee
Your Master Technician FixYa Expert
Jan 31, 2011 | 1997 Chrysler Sebring
Jun 09, 2010 | 2006 Chrysler Pacifica
Feb 21, 2009 | 1993 Lincoln Town Car
Jan 11, 2009 | 1999 Dodge Ram
Dec 07, 2008 | 2004 Land Rover Range Rover
Sep 06, 2014 | 1997 Buick Riviera
101 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: