Question about 1998 Ford Explorer

1 Answer

Pressed small stem inside the shrader valve gas pours out when started

Relived pressure from shrader valve now gas pours out when started

Posted by on


1 Answer

  • Level 2:

    An expert who has achieved level 2 by getting 100 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert that has over 500 points.

  • Expert
  • 287 Answers

Replace the shrader valve the rubber seal on it is broken or cracked. Its not hard to change its like a tire valve stem.

Posted on Jan 17, 2015


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

Hi there,
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.

Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.

Here's a link to this great service

Good luck!

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

How to do a fuel pressure test on 2009 chevy cobalt

There is a shrader valve on the fuel rail. You can hook a guage to it and cycle the fuel pump with the key. Shrader valve looks like a tire valve stem. Should have a plastic cap on it and most are on drivers side.

Mar 12, 2017 | Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

Fuel rail shrader valve leaking how to replace

Yes it does come out. It takes a tire valve stem removal tool to get it out. And believe it or not, a tire valve stem. But before you take it out, just tighten it up. 99.9% of the time, they quit leaking. You can get the tool from any bicycle shop or hard ware store. Some auto parts store sells them. But usually the are for A/C stems. Bigger.

Jul 25, 2015 | Pontiac Sunfire Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

1991 ford f150 300 i-6 turns over fine but fuel pumps sound louder than normal and it wont start

there is a shrader valve on the engine looks like a steel valve stem like on the tires turn on key and see if gas sprays out of it if not check fuel filter and change it if not already done if you can check fuel pressure should be 47lbs of pressure

May 28, 2011 | Ford F-150 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

98 ford escort just died while driving

If the starter cranks up, your problem is going to be the fuel pump. On the fuel line or fuel rail, by the injectors, there should be a small screw on cap (like the one on the tires), unscrew it to expose the Schrader Valve, just like the one on the tires. Place a piece of cloth in front of it, with a small screwdriver or similar tool, press the valve stem to relieve the fuel pressure, you should see a stream of gas coming out, If little or no gas comes out, have someone turn the ignition to the RUN position, DO NOT START THE VEHICLE, gas should pour out for the 2 seconds the pump remains energized. If gas comes out without pressure or no gas comes at all. Check Fuel Pump Fuse and Relay, if they are both OK, the fuel pump needs to be replaced. If when you press the Schrader Valve and gas comes out with full pressure, your problem will be in the electrical side.
Keep me posted! Good Luck! A HELPFUL - 4 THUMBS - rating for this solution would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for using FixYa.

Dec 08, 2010 | 1998 Ford Escort

1 Answer

It appears that the fuel pump in non operational.. it cranks but will not start. Where does the gas line come up to the injectors, so that I might pull the hose off, insert into a soda bottle and crank the...

There should be a small shrader valve on the fuel rail just remove the cap and press in on the valve if fuel shoots out under pressure the fuel pump is working if no fuel comes out, check the fuel pump relay and fuel pump fuse, if both of those check out ok the fuel pump is probably bad and will require removal of the gas tank to access the pump for further diagnosis....

Dec 07, 2010 | 1998 Chrysler Sebring

1 Answer

The engine tuns over but will not fire. Not sure if it's the fuel pump, filter or ignition system. Any suggestions on wher to start first?

There should be a pressure testing port on your fuel rail on most cars it is a shrader valve the same as your tires only this one is all metal. With the key on and covering it with your hand to keep it from going everywhere press in the valve with a small screwdriver if you get gas squirting out everywhere your problem is in the ignition. If not then you'll need to replace your pump and filter in the gas tank.

Nov 27, 2010 | 2006 Mazda RX-8

1 Answer

Fuel line pressure relief is leaking fuel. is there supposed to be a cap

This is a shrader vale, much like the valve on a tire valve stem. you can purchase a valve stem remover tool and tighten it up. A cap will not take care of your problem. Please take care of this as soon as possible, This can cause an engine fire.

Nov 09, 2010 | 2005 Dodge Durango

2 Answers

Where do you relieve the fuel pressure at when changing the fuel filter on a 1996 Plymouth Voyager with a 3.3L engine (short wheel base)

there is no pressure regulator only one is built into the fuel tank to relive the pressure look on fuel rail for a small valve looks like a valve stem similar to tires stem it as a black plastic cover unscrew that and push with a pointy object

Aug 28, 2010 | 1996 Plymouth Voyager

1 Answer

Fuel not being delivered to the intake, I have replaced the frame fuel pump, filter and relay. If you pour gas in the intake it starts but only until it starves from gas

If you have pressure at the shrader valve on the fuel rail then check the regulator. Vaccum leaks can cause it to not work correctly or it is just deffective. If you have a vaccum tester, the see if you can draw a vaccum on the unit, if not then ther you go.

Aug 27, 2009 | Ford F-250 Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

2002 chevy siliverado will turn over, but will not start

I would verify fuel pressure is in spec.On the back of the motor on the drivers side you will find a shrader valve(kinda like a valve stem on a tire)Its just alittle larger.You can buy a fuel pressure gauge at your local parts house and they can give you the spec as well.If its not in spec the pump is in the gas tank.

Mar 08, 2009 | 2002 Chevrolet Silverado

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Ford Explorer Logo

54 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

79847 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22326 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5685 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides