Question about 1986 Chevrolet G30
No key ignition switch replacement
Posted by Anonymous on
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
under the steering column, there are three or four little holes in the plastic covering. If you look inside, one of them (the one on the right side toward the dash) there is a brass pin inside. This is the pin to release the key. As far as the key not turning, I have had the same problem. The first time I replaced the ignition switch and that solved the problem. However, this makes no sense because the ignition switch has nothing to do with the tumbler being locked. GMC thinks that my anti theft system, which is inside the ignition cylinder is the problem. By removing the ignition switch, it reset the pass lock anti-theft system and temporarily fixed the problem. So, try removing the ignition switch and then plugging it back in. If that doesn't work, your in the same boat as I am, and we may both need new ignition cylinders.
Posted on Apr 27, 2009
1. Turn ignition switch to off position and leave the key in the switch.
2. Disconnect the battery.
3. Take a small diameter. paper clip and insert it into the small hole in the face of the ignition switch. You will feel a small button that you depress.
4. While depressing the button, turn the key to the accessory position (counter clockwise) and using the key remove the cylinder.
5. You can now remove the bezel by unscrewing it CCW.
6. This will allow you to remove the ignition switch from the dash and disconnect the wire harness plug from the rear of the switch.
7. They don't always come apart easily , and may require some Jiggling of the key and the wire.
Posted on Jul 27, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 17, 2017 | Cars & Trucks
Nov 24, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 03, 2014 | 1988 Ford F 150
Aug 06, 2012 | 1994 GMC Suburban
Jul 09, 2010 | 1986 Chevrolet G30
Jan 29, 2010 | 1988 GMC Safari
Sep 18, 2009 | GMC Sierra 1500 Cars & Trucks
Mar 21, 2009 | 1988 Ford F 150
121 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: