Question about Volkswagen Beetle
I was driving my 72 Superbeetle. It always lags in 2nd gear when cold, which is what it did just now, but then it lagged and then backfired and now sounds extremely strange and rough. Any ideas?
There can be a few things to look at, and we should go from easy to spot, to hard to check:
1) Most people have a single carb in these cars, and the air filter is very exposed to the elements. It would be a good idea (and cheap) to change the filter.
2) While you have the filter off, spray some carburator cleaner into the mouth of the carb. Also, remove the needle of the carburator and make sure there is no debris impeding the free movement of the needle. You would be surprised what can get caught up in there...
3) The VW engine has a particular tendency to burn out the #2 spark plug before all others. Most of the time, this will cause the car to crank, but not start, but I have had the experience of it burningout only partially and causing bad performance.
4) Check the rotor cap and the rotor itself. These cars run mostly hot (being air cooled and all) and it is not uncommon for the rotor cap or the rotor itself to fail frequently.
Now to the more expensive stuff:
5) I had a similar problem a few years back on my '73 and it turned out to be a cracked cylinder head.
These engines are some of the best, but they require almost daily attention in hot climates (Like Florida or southern California.
Posted on Jun 04, 2009
Check timing belt and ignition distributor.
check fuel flow ,if fuel pump works poor then problem of missing and low pick .....
Posted on Jul 22, 2009
Timing chain jumped.
Posted on Jun 04, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 10, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jan 15, 2015 | Cars & Trucks
Dec 29, 2013 | Toyota RAV4 Cars & Trucks
May 17, 2012 | 2005 Nissan Sentra
Mar 21, 2010 | 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
Nov 24, 2009 | 1993 BMW 3 Series
Jul 09, 2009 | 1996 Subaru Legacy
Mar 30, 2009 | 2000 Cadillac Catera
Oct 07, 2008 | 1992 Geo Tracker
173 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: