Question about 2004 Mazda 6

2 Answers

Dead bulbs in center console

Hello How can I replace illumination inside and around the A/C knobs on mazda6. It's the auto A/C unit. Thanks :)

Posted by on

  • 2 more comments 
  • briatore_fla May 31, 2009

    Hello Polarcycle,

    Thank you for your answer, I really appreciate it. However, it's really hard to believe that because of two or three dead bulbs I have to replace the whole centre console (it's all one piece). It probably costs around $600 or so.

  • briatore_fla May 31, 2009

    I couldn't make peace with the replace the whole centre console thing, so I've taken out the outer glow rings using a small flat screwdriver and taken the inner caps out. It was quite easy.

    The bulbs for inner illumination are in the middle and they have orange caps. They are quite small but they screw in pretty much like any other bulb of that type I've seen so far.

    However, they can not be replaced from the outside, but only from the inside of the panel. That means I'll have to remove the centre console to replace them.

    Beware, it's very difficult to put the rings back on as they connect to an inner ring that goes back as you try to push it in.

    To illuminate the outer rings you have to reach some bulbs that are also in the back. So I'll take it out, replace them with stock bulbs, not LEDs and put it back. I'll use the opportunity to clean the CD changer laser and attach an mp3 control unit to the external changer/satellite radio port. It all makes it worth a try :)

    Now, I only have to find out how to remove the console. :)))

  • briatore_fla Jun 02, 2009

    Hello :)

    Chrysler dealer was wrong :) They are very much user replaceable.

    You have to remove the centre console and when you look at it from the rear there are five holes with bulbs in them. Two have white plastic bottoms and three have black. White ones are illumination of the outer rings and the black ones illuminate the controls inside.

    You need a thin flat screwdriver to turn them 1/4 circle (it's actually written on the plastic around) and take them out. Screw the new ones in put the console back. It takes about 10 minutes if you know what you are doing and maybe 30 or so the first time.

    Even if you don't have the plastic bottoms you can reuse the old ones. Bulbs are T1 3/4 1.2W 12V. They come with two wires hanging out from the bottom. You just need to bend them around the plastic (it has grooves) the same way the old ones were and it works.

    Good luck :)

    Thank you

  • briatore_fla Jun 02, 2009

    Thanks :)

    To be honest, I've never had an American car and I wouldn't really know why they decided to make it that way, but I'd be shocked to find that a Japanese or European car had its bulbs sealed (greatly surprised to hear Chryslers have it). :) You should be able to repair or change anything broken with minimal cost and effort.



2 Answers

  • Level 1:

    An expert who has achieved level 1.

  • Contributor
  • 2 Answers

There is a user on ebay who sells the correct bulbs and a guide if needed:

Posted on Apr 03, 2011

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.


    An expert whose answer got voted for 500 times.

  • Master
  • 1,392 Answers

Replace the whole unit. The bulbs are not servicable seperatly.

Posted on May 31, 2009

  • Eldric Venne
    Eldric Venne May 31, 2009

    My customers at the Chrysler dealer feel the same way. If you are good with elecronics and LED lights, you could probably take it apart and solder in some new LEDs. Only way I know to do it is replace it.

  • Eldric Venne
    Eldric Venne Jun 02, 2009

    You have a different set up than the Chryslers then. That is very good for you. Our unit is sealed, with no way to get it apart but to break it. Glad you got it fixed.



1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I have a 04 kia sedona and the overhead console for time date and mpg is not illuminating. I can't find a fuse. What could it be

It is either the unit itself or bulbs inside the unit. I would remove to determine if there are bulbs, if no bulbs the replace the unit. You can buy a replacement from a dealer or get one from a local junkyard, or from the Internet such as ebay, etc.

Mar 22, 2016 | Kia Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

How to replace gear shift indicatoc lamp on 2005 pontiac grand prix

You need to first remove the shift knob...with the car off, turn to on...not start, and pull the shift lever down to engage the low gear...then look on the backside of the knob for the removal clip, or screw...if yours has the u clip, you need to pull this out...(needle nose pliers) and remove...(or unscrew the small screw if equipped) You can now lift the knob straight up and then need to remove the screws that hold down the center console...on the inside of the console, at the bottom...this will allow you to view and remove the indicator sure to match the bulb exactly...some are bulb # 124...Switch out the bulb and reassemble...the u clip or screw must be back in place as the last step to re-attach the knob...Hope this helps.

Mar 14, 2011 | 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix

1 Answer

Bulb out in center console

You are correct, there is a bulb light lights only the center will need to pull up on the shifter in order to gain access to the don't always have to remove the shift knob to gain access to the bulb holder...if you need to remove the knob...pull the shift lever all the way down to low gear...this should best expose the rear of the should see a u clip that needs to be removed...(needle nose pliers) in order to lift the knob reinstall just put the knob back in place...the u clip must be re-installed to hold the knob on...Hope this helps.

Feb 28, 2011 | 2001 Oldsmobile Aurora

2 Answers

How do I fix my left blinker? light still works but it sticks instead of blinks

What you speak of as to the left blinker doesn't flash, yet the instrument cluster shows the green arrow (to the left), and yet that and the left turn signal lights do not flash, appears to be a simple burned out bulb. If one of your left turn signal bulbs are burnt out, then the #552 Flasher Unit in your fuse box is NOT the cause. It's the "Amperage" not being correct to the flasher unit. Place the parking brake on and start your vehicle. Put the left turn signal on and check to see ALL the bulbs are illuminated for the left turn signal. If you find one bulb that is not illuminated, then replace the bulb. It should be an 1157 bulb, but in the front it could be a 1157 Amber bulb dependent on whether your turn signal lens is clear or yellow.

If you still have difficulty finding the dead bulb, turn on the right turn signal and see which bulbs are illuminated and this will give you an idea as to which bulb on the left side isn't working, or turn on your Emergency Flashers which will turn on both the left and right side lamps and see which bulb is not lit up.

I hope this Helps,

~00 Buck~

"Still living on the Right Side of Dirt..."

May 24, 2010 | 1972 Oldsmobile 98

2 Answers

How do i access the bulb behind the climate

There is one bulb (for all three knobs) behind the center knob. Turn the knob to the straight up and down 12 o'clock position and pull the knob straight out. Wrap a soft cloth around the jaws of a pliers, that works the best. Pull the bulb out with a needle nose wrapped with a rubber band. The bulb is a sylvania 2721, available at most auto parts stores. You can also use a small piece of vacuum tubing to pull the bulb out. (pull straight out, don't twist it)

Jan 11, 2010 | 2002 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

1 Answer

How can I remove plastic bezel around shifter so I can clean spilled coffee that may be in console under bezel?

Pretty easy, no tools required if you have strong nails :)

First open the center console lid.

Grab the back edge of the trim panel where it stops at the top of the console box and pull upward.
Work your way to the front disengaging the clips by lifting up.
When you get to the front, unhook the connector from the 12V outlet and the heated seats buttons (if equipped).
Set the trim panel aside

To remove the round trim around the shifter (likely not necessary)
Remove philips screw from shift knob and lift shift knob off shaft.
Lift round shift trim bezel off by disengaging 4 clasps located low at corners of bezel.
Disconnect illumination bulb from bezel and set bezel aside for cleaning

During install, make sure the shift trim is inserted into shaft so the indicator will line up.

Oct 18, 2009 | 2007 Mitsubishi Galant SE Sedan

2 Answers

The odometer is very dim and you can hardly see it 2002 cavalier with 39000 miles

The dashboard has lights inside to illuminate the gauges. It could either be LED or bulbs. You need to open the dash to get to the gauge. In most cars, the lights can be replaced from the back of teh gauges.

Jul 18, 2009 | 2005 Chevrolet Cavalier

1 Answer

2001 Jetta Interior Climate Control Bulb

There is one bulb (for all three knobs) behind the center knob. Turn the knob to the straight up and down 12 o'clock position and pull the knob straight out. Wrap a soft cloth around the jaws of a pliers, that works the best. Pull the bulb out with a needle nose wrapped with a rubber band. The bulb is a sylvania 2721, available at most auto parts stores. You can also use a small piece of vacuum tubing to pull the bulb out. (pull straight out, don't twist it)

Jun 22, 2009 | 2001 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

1 Answer

Lightbulb that illuminates the transmition gauges

you have to remove all the screws that are holding the center console in the floor and remove it and then once you remove the console yo can access the bulb to the shift indicator

Nov 08, 2008 | 2004 Mazda 3

1 Answer

Replace A/C illuminent light bulb

Youi have to remove the lower finish panel, and then the center finish panel, and then remove the heater control from its holder.

Oct 18, 2008 | 2003 Toyota Corolla

Not finding what you are looking for?
2004 Mazda 6 Logo

Related Topics:

1,348 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Mazda Experts


Level 3 Expert

76848 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22246 Answers

Jeffrey Turcotte
Jeffrey Turcotte

Level 3 Expert

8589 Answers

Are you a Mazda Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides