Question about 1995 Ford Windstar

1 Answer

How to change water seal with out puting down the motor and trnas

I need to change the water seals on the back of the motor near to the trans, but the mechanics says he neds to put down all the motor and the trans. The front seals are easy to do it in about 10 minutes. Do you know how to changes in a diferent way, beacuse there is no space between the motor and the trans?
Tank You

Posted by on

  • Anonymous May 24, 2009

    Tanks, that's the name,freeze-out plug. The ones that I have problemas with it are on the back of the mono block. I found that some other have the same problem, like this one:
    " I have been leaking anti-freeze for some months. A garage nearby was unable to diagnose the problem. Today, a mechanic that I asked to look over the same problem indicated the following: on the back of the engine block there is a particular freeze-out plug that needs to be replaced. I am told that the replacement part is not a big dollar, it is the labor piece. The labor should be about $600-650. Does this sound right? Is there any cheaper alternative?"


1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 20 achievements.


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

  • Master
  • 10,319 Answers

Freeze plugs are the termanoligy I think you want. the transmission certainly does come out to replace these items

Posted on May 24, 2009

1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017

Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

Dropping water at the back part of the engine pulley place

This sounds like it could be your water pump. They have a seal in them and if it fails it will leak water, have your technician check it and if it's leaking you need to change it, hope this helps

Mar 22, 2014 | 1999 Plymouth Voyager

1 Answer

Have a bad oil leak from back of the motor

Check the rear main seal, if its coming out between engine and transmission it is time to replace. Usually this seal wont stop leaking even with seal conditioner. Depending on engine and chassis either the trans or motor will have to come out in order to replace the seal. If the seal is external than remove the trans, if a 1 piece internal than engine has to come out. Any way you look at it is a time consuming and big job.

Oct 27, 2013 | 1993 Mercedes-Benz S-Class

1 Answer

2002 envoy trans burned out second 1 just melted

Transfer case fluid is different from the trans fluid, transfer case takes a Blue fluid made by G.M. can't think of the name of it, and trans takes Dex III or IIII read manual, if it is getting to transfer case then you deal between the trans and transfer case is bad causing it to **** the fluid out of trans, need to change the seals this time. Car Quest sells a 1 piece seal that seals both units instead of 2 different seals. Good Luck

Aug 29, 2012 | 2002 GMC Envoy

1 Answer

Rear main seal

it is a one piece seal you can change it by removing the trans and flywheel more common is the back of the intake manifold and drips down the back

Jun 12, 2012 | 1996 Chevrolet Corvette

1 Answer

Hi i have a 93 buick lesabre that is leaking atf badly seems to be comming from right where the motor and transmisson join together im thinking torque converter seal and im wondering how difficult a job...

I worked on buicks at a dealer for 15 years and never saw a torque converter seal leaking...if its trans fluid that leaking i would suspect a front pump seal in the trans,If is not trans fluid make sure its not the back of the intake manifold leaking down the bellhousing seaming to leak from the trans. ..If oil maybe rear main seal... No special tools needed really just make sure you support the engine safely if you are going to remove the trans.....

Sep 01, 2010 | 1993 Buick LeSabre

1 Answer

I just bought an 89 eagle vista gt, 2 wh drive, it's leaking oil. i figure i need to replace the rear seal, how do i do that?

you have to remove the motor / or trans which ever is easyer while your at it change the transmission seal if it is an automatic seal is a pump seal you ca get both at autozone for about 4.00 each

Feb 25, 2010 | 1989 Dodge Colt Vista

2 Answers

I changed tranny filter and pan gasket, still leaks, possible inner seal? any suggestions?

need to identify where leak is coming from wipe clean bottom of transmission and check trans lines ,dipstick tube, rear seal ,pan for leak or drip start van and let run drive around block than park and recheck trans for leak if leak by where engine and trans meet than front seal anywhere else fix and or replace front seal two choices first can try a trans leak additive follow instructions carefully or need to pull trans to replace seal

Feb 01, 2010 | 1998 Dodge Caravan

1 Answer

I gave you the wrong pump it was the water pump that was changed

There is a shaft seal in automotive water pumps that can fail.
You will know if it's that seal because water will be dripping from the bottom of the water pump.
If the water is not near the water pump, then look for a freeze plug that is leaking.

Dec 21, 2009 | 1992 Buick Park Avenue

1 Answer

After rain when lifting tailgate water drips out

inspect the rubbers around the rear lift gate closely by running you finger down the rubber seal, use clear silicone if need to if the seal any part of the seal if is not seated properly or broken, this will be temporary fix. correct fix will need the new rubber seal. have someone sit in the back in the rear near the liftgate, take a water hose and hose down the rear and see where the leak is comming from. hope that help some

Sep 30, 2009 | 2002 Subaru Outback

1 Answer

Front Main Seal is blown on the Transmission

You have to remove the transmission, remove the torque converter to access the seal. Most likely the bushing behind the seal is worn out allowing fluid to leak past the seal. After the trans. is out, take it to a trans. shop. It requires a special tool to change the bushing. Seems like a bunch of work for $10.00 in parts. The rear main seal requires pulling the pan to access it. When the trans. is out, this is the time to replace the rear main seal on the engine.

Jun 10, 2008 | 1993 Ford Explorer Limited

Not finding what you are looking for?
Cars & Trucks Logo

Related Topics:

89 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

75817 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5495 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides