Question about 1998 Pontiac Trans
The temperature gauge keeps overheating and feels like going to stall. Has fully shut down on its own a couple of times.
Here are a couple of suggestions for the overheating problem.
1. Check your coolant level. I'd recommend adding a 50/50 mixture of antifreeze and water until it gets back to the proper level. If the coolant is low you probably have a leak somewhere. Look for the leak while the engine is hot. It might be something easy to fix like replacing a hose.
2. Check to see if your electric cooling fans are working properly. Let the car idle until the engine gets hot. Watch to see if the dual fans ever kick in. If the fans never turn on then the problem could be the fans themselves, the fan relay, a fuse, or a temperature sensor.
3. Your thermostat may be stuck closed.
Here are a couple of suggestions for the stalling problem.
1. Do a tune up, including plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, and possible the ignition module.
2. Check for a vacuum leak.
3. Add some fuel injector cleaner to your gas.
4. Replace the fuel filter and the air filter.
5. Make sure you have a proper oil level.
6. If the check engine light is on go to an auto parts store and have them pull your codes. This could indicate where your problem is.
Posted on May 22, 2009
May have air in lines
if the cooling system is a closed one than you need to perge the system to get all the air out
Posted on May 22, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of.(from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones)
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Jan 11, 2015 | Pontiac Cars & Trucks
Apr 23, 2014 | 2004 Nissan XTerra
Feb 03, 2013 | Dodge Cars & Trucks
Jul 26, 2012 | 2005 Chevrolet Malibu
For car running hot and overheating issues, I suggest to you go
through this help links. Click this link below and go through the
troubleshooting procedure to take care of the problems: ----
temp gauge goes erratic?
Temperature gauge keeps fluctuating up and
down close to red?
Car runs hot? http://howtobyme.blogspot.com/2011/11/car-runs-hot-in-traffic.html
-----------All types of car overheating problems and troubleshooting?
Car freeze overnight and started overheating while driving?http://technoanswers.blogspot.com/2012/01/car-freeze-overnight-and-started.html-----------Engine Overheats and heater blowing cold?
Car overheats and Air blows hot at idle?
----------Car engine Overheats and transmission starts slipping?http://schematicsdiagram.blogspot.com/2011/12/car-engine-overheats-and-transmission.html
Temperature gauge does not move and no heat
when heater is ON?
This details will help.Thanks.
Feb 07, 2012 | 1990 Dodge Dakota
Aug 14, 2010 | 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Feb 19, 2010 | 1996 Oldsmobile 88
Apr 23, 2009 | 1992 Honda Accord
Apr 15, 2009 | 1992 Buick Park Avenue
162 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: