my guess is you mean the engine does not crank
all engines that fail to crank will never start. (mine can be push starter and gravity started but mine are manual trans cars)
so ill guess this is a A?t transmission, AUTOMATIC.)
the first thing to do would be to get a AAA jumper start with jumper cables. off a running other car..
yes, cranks ,that mans your new battery is dead or JUST DISCHARGED.
no?, then that means the starter system is failing, (bingo?)
- IF car has IMMO, (SKIM, etc) immobilizer then the lamp in the dash tells you (by glowing) this system sees a bad key or is faulting and the operators guide tells you what to do. (no its ok)
- clean the battery lugs yet, this is a service on all cars.
- wiggle the gear shifter and crank, work now, no.
- try cranking in Neutral, , does it crank now>?? no.
- i hot wire the starter solenoid, does it crank now? yes, bad key line, but no means bad starter.
if you get the far, and is bad key line, we can go farther.
the PNRLD switch on the side of the transmission can be bad.
or just a simple bad connection. there. easy to find with a voltmeter.