Question about 1998 Volkswagen Jetta
There are some plastic pieces that broke on the track on one side. Motor works and moves it about half way closed and it will move back but I cannot get is closed and sealed. I was hoping to find out what the cost is to fix.. worst to worst get someone to shut it?? This car is great except for all the minor **** that randomly falls apart. Please let me know this car is on it's way out and i really don't want to put any more money into it.
You need to take to VW dealer and they will give you a free estimate.
Posted on Jun 30, 2017
Save hours of searching online or wasting money on unnecessary repairs by talking to a 6YA Expert who can help you resolve this issue over the phone in a minute or two.
Best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
Here's a link to this great service
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
SOURCE: Jetta Sunroof Stuck Tilted
SOUNDS LIKE RT GUIDE CABLE IS BROKEN OR STRIPPED IF YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY EXPERIENCE WITH SUNROOF REPAIR YOU REALLY DO NOT WANT TO LEARN THE HARD WAY AS IT CAN BE EXTREMELY AGGRAVATING BEST BET DEALER OR UPHOLSTERY SHOP
Posted on Feb 19, 2009
SOURCE: Sunroof problems
have the repair shop chek the switch, it seems that the problem is in the switch or the wiring of the switch.
the motor is not receiving the correct votage to go reverse.
Posted on May 22, 2009
You have somehow shaken the crash detection module and now it needs to be reset. I need time but i can figure out where it is for you. Mike. Rate 100% and respond back please.
Posted on Sep 19, 2009
Tips for a great answer:
To check the condition of your original sunroof guides:
- Gl*** in closed position.
- Locate & remove 3 torx bolts on each side of sunroof glass. Lift glass out of sunroof opening & set aside in a safe place.
- Locate "J" shaped cover plate at front of sunroof track assembly. Remove 2 torx bolts from each cover plate.
- Lift up bracket to remove.
- Inspect the plastic guides on each side. The sunroof cables attach to guides on front outer corner. Inspect this area closely for damage.
- Do not operate the sunroof with the J plates removed.Troubleshooting:If the sunroof guides are not broken & the glass is a uniform height along the rear edge your problem may be a stripped gear inside the motor. The motor has a manual override:
- Get access to the motor by removing the map light/switch console or lowering the front of the headliner.
- Insert a large standard screwdriver into the nylon bushing at the center of the motor hub. Push up & turn the screwdriver to manually move the sunroof glass. If the unit will fully open & close manually, you most likely only need a replacement motor.
If your sunroof is stuck in the open position follow these steps to get it closed:
- Remove the glass.
- Try to close the unit without the glass. Many times one side will still be operational and close correctly.
- Try to slide the inoperable lift arm forward. If it moves, slide it forward until it stops.
- You now need to slide the original plastic guide forward to lower the arm to the closed position. Using a standard screwdriver, push it forward. The lift arm should begin to lower.
- If the lift arm will still not fully lower, remove the J plate as explained above, sometimes the sunroof cable will need to be lifted up to allow the guide to fully slide forward.
- Reinstall glass.
May 21, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 28, 2009 | 1998 Volkswagen Jetta
Jun 08, 2009 | 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix
May 15, 2009 | 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI
Apr 04, 2009 | 2000 Mercury Cougar
Mar 23, 2009 | 1998 Volkswagen Jetta
Jul 30, 2008 | 2005 Volkswagen Jetta
May 31, 2014 | 1998 Volkswagen Jetta
339 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: