Question about 1998 Ford Windstar

1 Answer

I broke the hex head on radiator drain plug in 98 ford Windstar

Need to drain the radiator and replace the coolant in 98 ford Windstar. But, I broke the hex head on radiator drain plug, and can't open it anymore!
Any suggestions on what to do now?

Can someone point out the location of lower radiator hose (which should connect to the water pump)? Is it on the driver's side or the passenger's side? Is it easy to remove and reattach without raising the van?

Any other tricks/ suggestions?



Posted by on

  • dhanisk May 15, 2009

    By right side, do you mean the driver's side?




1 Answer

  • Level 3:

    An expert who has achieved level 3 by getting 1000 points


    An expert that got 10 achievements.


    An expert that got 5 achievements.

    Vice President:

    An expert whose answer got voted for 100 times.

  • Master
  • 334 Answers

Ha . you will have to dran it from the will have to pull the hose. whitch is on the right side if i rember correctly. it would be a good i dear to get the van up on a lift or car ramp ok . good luck

Posted on May 15, 2009


1 Suggested Answer

  • 2 Answers

SOURCE: I have freestanding Series 8 dishwasher. Lately during the filling cycle water hammer is occurring. How can this be resolved

a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.

Posted on Jan 02, 2017


Add Your Answer

Uploading: 0%


Complete. Click "Add" to insert your video. Add



Related Questions:

1 Answer

I want to bleed the coolant system in my nc fairlane 5 ltr v8 can you help me please ?

Hi there,

Sure we can....

To avoid serious burns, allow engine coolant to cool down first.

Radiator Drain Plug:

Climb under the front of car and look for a 'see though' hole in the body/shroud (possible on driver's side).

You should see a screw plug, connecting to the botton tank of your radiator. Depending on the age of radiator, the plug will be either a WingNut type (undo by hand), or a 13mm hex bolt (with a phillips head) - you may need to use a long sock/extension to undo the plug, but ensure you do not overtighten as it's only plastic.

Note: if you simply cannot get at your drain plug, then just remove the bottom radiator hose as an alternative.


"If this solution has helped you resolve your issue, please be kind enough to leave a testimonial"

Jun 11, 2011 | Ford Fairmont Cars & Trucks

1 Answer

I need to replace the thermostat on my '98 Ford Windstar 3.8L but can't find its location. Where do I look for the thermostat ? What do I need to remove to get at it ?

In most cases... Follow the upper radiator hose to theengine. The hose clamp on the end is clamped to the thermostathousing. Drain the coolant through the petcock valve on the radiator,or place a large pan under the vehicle to catch what escapes. It'seasier to remove the hose from the therm housing, then remove thehousing. (put the thermostat back in the way it came out. Pointy endtowards the radiator.) Clean off the old gasket from both surfaces,install new therm, apply new gasket. reverse procedure and top offwith coolant.

Feb 27, 2010 | 1998 Ford Windstar

2 Answers

Drain cooling system

Make sure the engine is cold before you drain the cooling system. First remove the radiator cap. Under the hood on the bottom of the radiator you will find a drain plug. You turn it counter clockwise and drain the coolant into a container. After it has been drained add new coolant using the half and half (half coolant half clean water.) After having added the coolant. Be sure to add the kind of coolant that ,("goes with any color".) Replace the radiator cap.Run the engine to operating temerature then be sure to bleed the cooling system. They have a bleed screw near the thermostat housing . (That's where the hose from the radiator connects to.) Make sure all the air comes out from the bleed valve screw until coolant starts coming out. Tighten the screw and let the engine get cool again. check that there is coolant in the container where it says coolant only near the radiator.

Nov 27, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar

4 Answers

I need to drain the antifreeze where is the plug from the engine block

The textbook method is to remove the drain plug. Most drain plug is make of nylon/plastic and it may fall apart while you turn it.

The professional method is to loosen the lower radiator clamp and drop to lower radiator hose.

Drain the coolant onto a large drain pan and recycle the coolant


I just did a FREE write up on air purge from coolant system and how to detect initial state of blown head gasket at the Fixya tip selection.

Click HERE

or follow link below.

Nov 27, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar

3 Answers

Where is the radiator drain for 2005 ford focus

Yours is Located on the DRIVERS SIDE FACING the Engine and Just ABOVE its RUBBER RESTING MOUNT. This is Visual only after REMOVING the UNDERGAURD SHIELD, (PLASTIC) Some are MUCH more Difficult to Access than the LOWER RADIATOR HOSE, Thus Making the Radiator Hose the BETTER Choice in Draining the Cooling System. Using a LARGE DRAIN PAN I Find it EASYER to Use the Lower Hose for Draining the System.

Nov 23, 2009 | 2005 Ford Focus

1 Answer

Hex on drain plug is broken

use a reversed drill bit or you can get a screwdriver red hot and stick it into the plug and then let it cool into there

May 25, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar

1 Answer

Spark plug broke off after hex how do i remove it

Do you mean just the ceramic above the hex or the threaded part broke off from the hex

Apr 04, 2009 | 2001 Ford Windstar

2 Answers

Locate engine block antifreeze drain plug

There is a 3/8" square head plug above the starter. This drains the left bank of the block and can be replaced with a 1/4" pipe valve.

Jan 10, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar

1 Answer

I need to drain the antifreeze from the (1998 Ford wIndstar 3.8) engine block so I can remove and replace the intake manifold gasket.

Not 100% sure but if you look up under exhaust manifold area, on block,is usually a common place. Simple hex head plug into block on most. Are you sure just pulling lower rad hose, and thermostat housing off won't get you where you need to be?

Jan 10, 2009 | 1998 Ford Windstar

Not finding what you are looking for?
1998 Ford Windstar Logo

452 people viewed this question

Ask a Question

Usually answered in minutes!

Top Ford Experts


Level 3 Expert

76109 Answers

Colin Stickland
Colin Stickland

Level 3 Expert

22156 Answers


Level 3 Expert

5520 Answers

Are you a Ford Expert? Answer questions, earn points and help others

Answer questions

Manuals & User Guides