2003 Matrix P1300 error code - Engine cuts out randomly
I have a 2003 AWD model that runs perfectly one day, then randomly cuts out the next. The check engine light will go on with a P1300 error code and the vehicle stalls out. If I wait a while, the car will start running fine again and after a bit the check engine light will turn off. The problem seems very random, but when it does happen I think it is usually after the car has been running for about 10 minutes. The problem seems to just come and go.
Basically, your PCM (onboard computer) is having difficulty communicating with IGT and IGF (ignition components). The problem is that when the ignition components stop transmitting/receiving signals from the PCM, your ignition timing ceases or is thrown off to the point where the car stalls. Below is the technical explanation:
IGT or IGF1 signal circuit is open between the igniter and PCM
IGT or IGF1 signal circuit is shorted to ground
Igniter is damaged or has failed
PCM has failed
Assuming your PCM is ok, then the problem lies within the communications or the ignition coils themselves. A faulty component won't fail all the time which is why your car will run perfectly at times and fail at other times. A service call or diagnosis by a Tech savvy mechanic is in order. I hope this shed some light on your problem and wish you the best of luck.
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need. goodluck!
- If you need clarification, ask it in the comment box above.
- Better answers use proper spelling and grammar.
- Provide details, support with references or personal experience.
Tell us some more! Your answer needs to include more details to help people.You can't post answers that contain an email address.Please enter a valid email address.The email address entered is already associated to an account.Login to postPlease use English characters only.
Tip: The max point reward for answering a question is 15.
The P1300 code is for the ignition coil No.1 and is set when there is no IGF signal to the ECM during engine operation. Possible causes:
Ignition Coil No. 1 harness is open or shorted
- Ignition Coil No. 1 circuit poor electrical connection
- Faulty Ignition Coil No. 1
- Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM) God-Bless!
1) Drain engine coolant. 2) Remove all cowling under the centre of the dash for access to the matrix.3) Remove two water pipes from matrix.4) Disconnect heater matrix valve cable.5) Remove matrix being careful not to spill water over the ECU. Reverse instructions for refit. 6) With heater turned to maximum heat, top up cooling system with 50/50 anti freeze/water ratio. Run vehicle and check that the radiator is free of all air and that the radiator fan cuts in when hot. Run the car and recheck coolant level over the next few days of running in case of leaks. Check under dash in case of leaks.
CODE P1203 CYLINDER NUMBER 3 MISFIRE CODE P1300 RANDOM MISFIRE DETECTED. POSSIBLE CAUSE BAD SPARK PLUGS OR FAULTY WIRES.CHANGE FUEL FILTER CLEAN FUEL INJECTORS. MORE THAN 1 CYLINDER MISFIRE COULD BE LEAN FUEL MISFIRE.
P1300 is random misfiring. I suggest replacing your DI cassette with a known good unit or a replacement unit. Give more info on your vehicle. Any symptoms or running rough? Justin Strictly Saab Melbourne, FL