Question about 1989 Honda Prelude
The car will start when you turn it off the car has a hard time starting if it starts at all
How do i get to it. is it under the rear seat or is by droping the tank
Posted on Jan 25, 2010
Hi. The mechanical fuel pump is located on the engine block or on the cylinder head. Normally, it is a sealed unit that cannot be repaired.
* It should be inspected for fuel leaks.
* If gasoline is leaking at the line fittings, these fittings should be tightened to the specified torque.
* If the fuel leak is still present, replace the fittings and/or fuel line. When gasoline is leaking from the vent opening in the pump housing, the pump diaphragm is leaking and fuel pump replacement is necessary.
* If engine oil is leaking from the vent opening in the pump housing and the PCV system is working properly, the push rod seal is worn and pump replacement is required.
* A loose pivot pin may cause oil leaks between the pin and the pump housing. When oil is leaking between the pump housing and the engine block, the pump mounting bolts should be tightened to the specified torque. If the oil leak continues, the gasket between the pump housing and the engine block must be replaced.
* The pump should be checked for excessive noise. If it makes a clicking noise when the engine is operating at a fast idle, the small spring between the rocker arm and the pump housing is broken or weak.
* If engine performance indicates inadequate fuel, the pump, while mounted on the engine, should be tested for pressure and volume. Incorrect fuel pump pressure and low volume are the two most likely fuel pump troubles that affect engine performance. Low pressure causes a lean mixture. Excessive pressure causes high fuel consumption and an overly rich mixture that can result in fuel injection or carburetor flooding. Low volume causes fuel starvation at high speeds.
I would also change the fuel filter as well. its located Under hood, center, upper firewall, mounted in fuel line
Posted on May 08, 2009
The pump is in the tank
Posted on May 07, 2009
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Tips for a great answer:
Oct 31, 2014 | 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 1500
Jun 05, 2013 | 1995 Chrysler LeBaron
Mar 23, 2017 | 2005 Saturn Relay
Aug 28, 2010 | 1994 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight
Mar 16, 2010 | 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix
Feb 11, 2010 | 1995 Chevrolet Camaro
Oct 22, 2009 | 2004 Pontiac Grand Am
Sep 14, 2009 | 2001 Kia Sportage
Feb 17, 2009 | 1999 Chevrolet C/K 2500
Jun 28, 2008 | 2003 Nissan Sentra
395 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: