How do I change the lower radiator hose
Ensure that the engine is completely cool prior to starting this service.
1. Remove the recovery tank or radiator cap.
2. Raise and support the vehicle.
3. Place a drain pan of sufficient capacity under the radiator and open the petcock (drain) on the radiator.
è Plastic petcocks easily bind. Before opening a plastic radiator petcock, spray it with some penetrating lubricant.
4. Drain the cooling system completely.
5. Close the petcock.
6. Remove the drain pan.
7. Lower the vehicle.
8. Determine the capacity of the cooling system, then property refill the system with a 50/50 mixture of fresh coolant and distilled water.
9. Leave the recovery tank or radiator cap off to aid in bleeding the system.
10. Start the engine and allow it to idle until the thermostat opens (the upper radiator hose will become hot). The coolant level should go down, this is normal as the system bleeds the air pockets out of the system.
11. Refill the system with coolant to the proper level.
12. Turn the engine OFF and check for leaks.
Dec 14, 2008 |
1998 Ford Taurus