Question about 1990 Ford Probe
When I am in drive or reverse the idle is so high that on hills I am unable to come to a complete stop... its like I have one foot on the gas and one on the break. is there something that I can try to fix before I spend a lot on getting a shop to analyze it?
It cost nothing to have it read at autozone..sounds like a fuel injection problem or firing improperly ..I am leaning more towards your spark plugs and or timing ..check also your distributor and rotor
Posted on Oct 18, 2013
a 6ya expert can help you resolve that issue over the phone in a minute or two.
best thing about this new service is that you are never placed on hold and get to talk to real repairmen in the US.
the service is completely free and covers almost anything you can think of (from cars to computers, handyman, and even drones).
click here to download the app (for users in the US for now) and get all the help you need.
Posted on Jan 02, 2017
Wow!!! Now that's a headfull of problems....
This could be a great many things...
Check these before you sell. I have a '93 Aerostar and can't live without it.
1. Check idle speed
2. Fuel filter may be clogged or water in the fuel system.
3. Choke improperly adjusted or sticking.
4. Distributor components damp or damaged.
5. Faulty emissions components.
6. Faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs/ Also check wires.
7. Vacuum leak at the carburetor/fuel injection unit or vacuum hoses.
8. On 1986 models, stalling during idle or deceleration may be caused by sludge in the throttlebody. (2.3 litre engine)
9. On 1986 & 1987 models with a 2.3 litre engine,hesitation or stalling during acceleration may be caused by carbon build-up on the intake valves.....I hope this helps!! Adios
Posted on Oct 15, 2008
Sounds like a bad IAC (idle air control valve/sensor) that controls your idle when going from throttle to idle. If bad your idle will act crazy and can cause stalls easily. Pretty sure that's it.
Posted on Aug 21, 2010
I have had this problem with my 90' SC, easy check is to clean your IAC valve. Carbon build up prevents if from working right.
Posted on Oct 10, 2010
Tips for a great answer:
Jun 16, 2016 | Cars & Trucks
Jul 16, 2014 | Ford Escape Cars & Trucks
Apr 15, 2014 | Toyota Camry Cars & Trucks
Jul 12, 2012 | 2007 Chrysler Sebring Sedan
Mar 15, 2011 | 1997 Plymouth Breeze
Mar 04, 2011 | 1990 Chevrolet Lumina
Oct 19, 2009 | 2001 Pontiac Aztek
Oct 12, 2009 | 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Jun 11, 2009 | 2003 Toyota Camry
56 people viewed this question
Usually answered in minutes!
Step 2: Please assign your manual to a product: